Oil Recommendation for a Peugeot 206

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys i would like some advice, i have a Peugeot 206 XS Rally, and i'll use it for some time on the street, i always use Motul 300V 5W-40 for the Rallies and change it every 2 races, that's about 3500 miles, or 2 months, the thing here is, that the car will not race until maybe june or so, and will be driven almost as daily driver, short trips and stuff like that, the engine has now 28k miles but is getting a head job, port & polish and new cams, but not because they were bad, more for performance, and has gotten already a new ECU, so the fuel economy is really poor, and i was told that beacuse of the settings the oil gets a lot of [censored] from the combustion, so the question is, what oil should i get for the car now, i don't think that the 300V is an option because the car will be a street car with some minor Track use, but that's it, i was thinking to put Motul 8100 on it, i live in Mexico, so i have less choices than you guys
Thanks

Sounds like you have a good oil already, I assume the Motul 8100 is a synthetic or better synthetic than the Motul 300V ? If so it might not be a bad idea to step up to that 8100, however I think that in the case of the ECU change giving more fueling (the mechanic is probably talking about fuel contamination in the oil) I would go with a shorter drain interval. Track time on the oil would not be so much a problem as I think the oil can handle that, it's the short trips that would lead to problems. This is just my opinion as I have never done any racing... I have worked with high horse power engines etc, but not to the extent of track time crossing over to short trip time.

So if it were mine I would look more into shorter drain intervals to deal with the ECU providing more fuel. It would be nice if you could flash between ECU's between track, and normal everyday driving.

Edit to add- the "head job (bad term here haha) the work on the head of porting, and polishing will not cause any bad effects on the oil, alone it would actually help with oil contamination from incomplete combustion etc, however you still have the ECU. Would be a good idea to change oil after the work on head, and maybe one more short oil change to clean anything left behind out like coolant etc.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the quick response, actually the car will get the oil and the coolant changed right away, but i wasn't sure what kind of oil to put in it.

@rclint: yes that's what i meant the fuel contamination in the oil
i know that the head work (thanks again) will not cause anything to the oil, but the cams and the new ECU will affect in terms of bad combustion
Again thank you guys

Originally Posted By: dirty
i don't think that the 300V is an option because the car will be a street car with some minor Track use, but that's it, i was thinking to put Motul 8100 on it

300V is fine for street use. It's not like most racing oils.
wink.gif

The main benefit of 8100 is that it can sometimes run longer without being changes. 300V is much tougher, though. If your car is that hard on its oil, stick with 300V.

Originally Posted By: rclint
I assume the Motul 8100 is a synthetic or better synthetic than the Motul 300V ?

Neither is better. Both are synthetic. They are just for different purposes.

8100 is street oil suitable for hard use. It will usually run longer OCIs.

300V is race oil suitable for street use. It will stand up to abuse better.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: rclint
I assume the Motul 8100 is a synthetic or better synthetic than the Motul 300V ?

Neither is better. Both are synthetic. They are just for different purposes.

8100 is street oil suitable for hard use. It will usually run longer OCIs.

300V is race oil suitable for street use. It will stand up to abuse better.

Dosen't the 300V have a MUCH higher POE basestock content, as well as a MUCH more stout moly/SAPS add pack, than the 8100??

Thank you all, i got Motul 8100 5W-30 and took it to the track with all the new goodies and the oil handled it very well, it didn't get too hot, well it was a cold day too, but good results with that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back