Oil recommendation for 2017 Ram 5.7 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 2017 Ram Crew Cab 1500 Laramie with a 5.7 Hemi. I was all se to buy a f-150 with the Eco-boost but the dealer gave me a really good price. The engine is bigger then what I needed. First what oil recommendation? It's still under warranty so I am thinking it has to have the Chrysler oil requirement? I was hoping to stick with Valvoline. I am new to dodge I was a Ford man. Can you give me any information on the Hemi? It would be greatly appreciated.

It calls for 5w-20, Valvoline 5w-20 should be fine with it unless you are towing really heavy with it frequently. What would you describe your typical usage profile as?

Originally Posted by mannymachine
Just purchased a 2017 Ram Crew Cab 1500 Laramie with a 5.7 Hemi. I was all se to buy a f-150 with the Eco-boost but the dealer gave me a really good price. The engine is bigger then what I needed. First what oil recommendation? It's still under warranty so I am thinking it has to have the Chrysler oil requirement? I was hoping to stick with Valvoline. I am new to dodge I was a Ford man. Can you give me any information on the Hemi? It would be greatly appreciated.

5W20 is helpful to the manufacturers because of MPG mandates by the government. You can run 5w30 and your engine may thank you in coming years.
Valvoline Advanced 5w30 just recently switched to SN PLus Dexos and is pretty stout. Good choice and in my opinion even better than Modern Engine Oil, which is almost $10 more per five quart jug.

Quality of filter depends on your mileage. Fram EG, Fram TG and Wix are three good choices. Use Fram EG for 7.5k OCIS and the other two for 10-12K OCIs. Not sure what mileage lengths are listed in your manual. Most everyone in the USA is considered severe use BTW.

I ran various 5w20 oils in mine, 2011 1500. Mobil 1 (overpriced), Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Motomaster synthetic (Made by Shell at the time and similar to QS). I ran 10 to 12,000km oil changes using a Fram Ultra spread over 2 oil change indexes. I ran it out to approx. 150,000km with a lot of hard towing. It ran great and I don't think it burned any oil over the life of it.

Take your pick of synthetic or conventional 20 weights and run what ever you want, the engine does not care. I found no difference in the Hemi tick with different oils. I never ran into any camshaft issues that others have had.

I have a friend who is certified in Hyundai, KIA and Chrysler. He owns a 2011 Laramie and a 2019 Ram Rebel. He runs 5W30 Mobil 1 in both.

Triple Seven, come to Canada and compare its sale price to that of similar oils. It is overpriced. You can usually find the 4.4 litre jugs on for about 33$ before tax. PPPP, QSUD and Valvoline are around 26$ before tax for 5 litres. Is Mobil that much better?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You poor guy. I hate Canada's prices. I'd be running Esso there. That's good oil and locally produced.

Esso is Mobil. We may have some "domestic" blends of it, but it's the same company.

My neighbor has a 2017 ram and he runs whatever conventional 5w20 the dealer/oil change place puts in. He did so in his previous Ram and it made it to the high mileage mark so anything like this or above this and you should be golden. Out of preference I would run a synthetic though.

Last edited:
I'm talking Esso oil.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You poor guy. I hate Canada's prices. I'd be running Esso there. That's good oil and locally produced.

Esso is Mobil. We may have some "domestic" blends of it, but it's the same company.

My bad....meant to type Petro Canada. That's good oil.

Wasn't Esso the previous name of Exxon? I get that they only used the Exxon retail brand in the US and as the corporate name.

The whole breakup of the original Standard Oil seemed to be convoluted. They all used the Standard name to some degree to maintain regional trademark rights. I guess there was no need to do that in Canada.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by y_p_w

Wasn't Esso the previous name of Exxon? I get that they only used the Exxon retail brand in the US and as the corporate name.

The whole breakup of the original Standard Oil seemed to be convoluted. They all used the Standard name to some degree to maintain regional trademark rights. I guess there was no need to do that in Canada.

[Linked Image]

Esso was a Standard Oil brand; a play on the initials "S O". It was popular in Canada, GB and perhaps other parts of Europe. Esso in Canada is a sub-marque of Imperial Oil, which was a part of Standard Oil going as far back as the 1890's; since close to its inception.

Originally Posted by mannymachine

You should use a 5W-20 synthetic oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395 Spec. Mobil 1 does not. Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum 5W-20 both do. Wal-Mart has the Platinum most everywhere. The Ultra Platinum is hit or miss depending on your location. It's not available at any of the Wal-Mart's by me... At least not yet.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/954577/1

Yes PetroCan is good oil, at the bulk dealer it is very, very competitively priced to what the other big names are on sale. I too hate Canadian oil prices, just a wash.

From what I remember reading on this site that Mobil did have the 6395 spec but appeared to stop paying the licencing fee and dropped it but never changed their formulation.

If towing, use Mobil1 0w-30, a little thicker, not much, just enough to counteract higher heat.
If not towing, use the new Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w-20.
Oil filter: Fram Ultra, the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back