Oil recommendation for 2002 Ford Focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Got rid of the Mercury Mystique "problem" yesterday. Bye-bye!
smile.gif
Now -I- am visiting my family members up in Madison, WI. Noticed my aunt has a 2002 Ford Focus that she describes as a piece of . Naturally, i asked about the oil and its been "going on 8000 miles" as she said, and she does not remember what oil it was. its starting to get cold here, too.

Of course i offered to change the oil and aside from a transmission that doesnt always catch when driving the engine sounded ok. In two weeks or so i can change her oil. I have not popped the hood yet. Getting chilly up here, big change from Dallas. Brrr.

Should i check out an 0W-30 like Mobil 1 from Walmart, or go 0W-20 in this car? I did NOT catch the mileage of this vehicle, but the engine sounded good and felt strong, aside from the transmision. Is 0W-30 synthetic a better choice over 5W-20? My biggest issue is the 5 number.. should it be? ..Supertech 5W-20?

This may be an XOM ST area. Even if it is not, please help me select an oil. I am not used to these 4-cylinder Fords. Thank you.

You want to do two things right now:

1. Pick up 6 or 8L of Mercon V ATF. If you are feeling spendy, get the Mobil 1 stuff.

2. Pick up 5L of a decent 5w20 or 0w20 and a Motorcraft filter for it. I'd also recommend Mobil 1, but PP or something else would be fine. Definitely synthetic if she's not being good about doing her oil changes.

The tranny cooler is in the front of the rad, just behind the front fascia. Remove the one line from it and place in a drain pan. Have a "helper" start the car and it will begin dumping the black fluid that will look like used oil into the pan. When it starts to "sputter" shut the car off. Add a few L of tranny fluid through the dipstick tube. Re-start car. More black fluid will come out. When it sputters, repeat the earlier procedure. When you start seeing fresh, red fluid, stop, and put the line back on. Get the fluid to the correct level and take the car for a drive, the shifting will likely be perfect, or will quickly become perfect again. Get the fluid hot. Check the level again. Add more if necessary.

Had to do this with ours. Turns out the fluid was original with like 240,000Km on it
crazy2.gif
It was black as tar and the car was doing the same thing (we also bought the car for $500.00 however....). This fixed it completely.

5W20, since it will probably be in there for a while maybe PU or PP? QSUD if its cheaper in that part of the country. There are coupons or rebates available on these oils right now that makes them nearly free. Motorcraft filter FL400S is for Zetec. Not sure if SPI takes the same filter.

Last edited:
FL910S is same baseplate as FL400S, AFAIK. I dont like the SN M1 0w20. Maybe I gota a bad batch. On the cheap you could run some old SM Havoline 5w30 or Chevron which is borderline 20 weight.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
FL910S is same baseplate as FL400S, AFAIK. I dont like the SN M1 0w20. Maybe I gota a bad batch. On the cheap you could run some old SM Havoline 5w30 or Chevron which is borderline 20 weight.

But the FL910S is shorter than the FL400S.

I dont know what FL910S and FL400x mean, thats greek to me. But i have been itching to do what OVERK1LL describes, i have done the transmission cooler line take-off on cars before and if its easy to get to im all over it! He also makes it sound as if it is only one line.
smile.gif
If i can seeit when i crawl under the car and it isnt blocked and i can take one of my wrenches to it, its totally happening.

Also, thinking of having a batch of Redline 0W-20 mailed to me. Car has 129,000 miles but revs much more than usual with this trans not catching over 30MPH. That way all i ned to buy is the filter
smile.gif

Peppy car.
34.gif

Since she seems to avoid short OCIs, go with a full synthetic.
Anybody's 5-20 will be great. For a bit more $, a 0-20 is good, esp for the dead of winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back