Oil Recommendation all aluminum LS1

Hey everyone my 1st post. I have a question about an oil recommendation for my application. I have an all aluminum LS1 with .0024 main bearing clearance and .0025 steel rod bearing clearance (loose for an aluminum engine). Oil temperatures of 220+ degrees fahrenheit. Has a high volume melling oil pump. Driven mainly in summer and fall outside temperatures of 50 degrees fahrenheit or more. For the specs my engine builder is recommending a 15w50 oil. Specifically Driven DT50 or HR3. The issue lies with my hydraulic lifters. The manufacturer "Morel" stated to me that these lifters require an oil with Cst rating of under 150 at 40C and 15 or less at 100C. Is anyone here familiar with a 15w50 that would fit my lifters requirements? This vehicle is stored alot and really only driven on weekends during nice weather. So storage protection is something im very interested in as well. Along with great protection for a high performance engine. Thank you for any insight

Hey everyone my 1st post. I have a question about an oil recommendation for my application. I have an all aluminum LS1 with .0024 main bearing clearance and .0025 steel rod bearing clearance (loose for an aluminum engine). Oil temperatures of 220+ degrees fahrenheit. Has a high volume melling oil pump. Driven mainly in summer and fall outside temperatures of 50 degrees fahrenheit or more. For the specs my engine builder is recommending a 15w50 oil. Specifically Driven DT50 or HR3. The issue lies with my hydraulic lifters. The manufacturer "Morel" stated to me that these lifters require an oil with Cst rating of under 150 at 40C and 15 or less at 100C. Is anyone here familiar with a 15w50 that would fit my lifters requirements? This vehicle is stored alot and really only driven on weekends during nice weather. So storage protection is something im very interested in as well. Along with great protection for a high performance engine. Thank you for any insight
Make a call to the Valvoline customer support line. I’d bet their VR-1 racing oil will fit your needs.

The manufacturer "Morel" stated to me that these lifters require an oil with Cst rating of under 150 at 40C and 15 or less at 100C. Is anyone here familiar with a 15w50 that would fit my lifters requirements?
Unfortunately any Xw-50 will exceed 15 cSt at 100C. You'd have to drop down to a Xw-40 where the options are numerous.

Redline
Mobil 1
Motul
Shell

You're in a difficult spot with this conflict in recommended viscosities.

Last edited:
Something about that which doesn't make sense in the whole context of what you posted, including the specific winter rating.

Look into M1 Euro 0-40, if you're looking for high Z&P levels (I'm assuming this is why the engine builder recommend the oil he did) the there are 5-40 diesel oils that may fit your needs, like Rotella T6.

This is ideal territory for 0w- or 5w-40 Euro oil or a good 10w-40 American oil like Mobil 1 High Mileage. I wouldn't recommend a 15w-40 diesel oil for this application where high RPM's are expected and 20w-50 would be too viscous.

Make a call to the Valvoline customer support line. I’d bet their VR-1 racing oil will fit your needs.
What is the displacement, what is the power density torque peak and redline?

a high HTHS 40 grade to prevent lifter pump up and cam skating should be adequate for your rod clearance and oil temps if you are spinnng under 6200 rpm. If you are going over (likely) you should have solid rollers and appropriate valve springs to prevent float.

I would break it in with what the builder suggests and see what the oil pressures are like at full operating temps through the RPM range. If they are more than adequate, try a 40w for the next change and compare.
Probably not an OP issue here; rather balancing moft at high loading and hyd roller tappet operation.

But that is surely good diligence.

He is only a couple tenths radially above nominal rod clearance for pass car operation with a mid-HTHS lube.
The crank throw journal prep** is likely more important here.

Still need to know power density.

**orifice window dressing

Something about that which doesn't make sense in the whole context of what you posted, including the specific winter rating.
Morel hydraulic lifters hold some of the tightest internal tolerance and orfice size in their categories. This is known thing amongst many. Even Lake Speed Jr (Driven) has put out articles about hydraulic lifters and how their Cst value plays a big role in the lifters ability to pump up correctly and not see pumping losses.

What is the displacement, what is the power density torque peak and redline?

a high HTHS 40 grade to prevent lifter pump up and cam skating should be adequate for your rod clearance and oil temps if you are spinnng under 6200 rpm. If you are going over (likely) you should have solid rollers and appropriate valve springs to prevent float.
5.7 L, 6500-7000 rpm, dual valve springs (open 380 lbs, seat 155 lbs), cam is 228/232 .606/.600 at .050. Thanks

Morel hydraulic lifters hold some of the tightest internal tolerance and orfice size in their categories. This is known thing amongst many. Even Lake Speed Jr (Driven) has put out articles about hydraulic lifters and how their Cst value plays a big role in the lifters ability to pump up correctly and not see pumping losses.

Thanks everyone. This is why i asked this question here. I understood I was in a tight situation based on needing a Cst of 15 or under at 100C but the bearing clearances, block material, and oil temperatures i expect to see required a *w50 weight. I was basically hoping to find if someone knew of a *w50 oil that had the lowest, or closest, Cst rating at 100C to 15. While still being a performance oil with storage protection. Most I find are 19 or more. Was hoping to find a 16 rating in a quality oil that someone knew off the top of their head.

Thanks everyone. This is why i asked this question here. I understood I was in a tight situation based on needing a Cst of 15 or under at 100C but the bearing clearances, block material, and oil temperatures i expect to see required a *w50 weight. I was basically hoping to find if someone knew of a *w50 oil that had the lowest, or closest, Cst rating at 100C to 15. While still being a performance oil with storage protection. Most I find are 19 or more. Was hoping to find a 16 rating in a quality oil that someone knew off the top of their head.

Talk to David ward @High Performance Lubricants . He may be able to make something that meets your specific requirements.

Back