Oil Recommendation 2020 GR Supra (Z4 har har)

To start, I posted this in the main oil section here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../oil-recommendation-2020-gr-supra#UNREAD

However, since this is a BMW engine I thought I may get more specific recommendations for what oil to use here. The available for oil for both the Supra and z4 seems scarcely available at mainstream retailers. My main driving habits are pretty hard on the street, especially here in florida so 0w-20 seems a bit thin but also concerned about warranty issues. My initial thought was LM 6600 but still seems a little too thin for my liking. 0w-40 was my thought but again, warranty. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

A little thicker and still under warranty would be LL01FE. There are not many option unfortunately because it was never used in Western Europe. Dealer oil is good though (Shell).

To me, it seems difficult to find any European rated 0w20 (like VW 508 or BMW LL14FE+). If you are DIY, then you might want to try a 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, or 5w40 with an older BMW spec like LL-01 or LL-04.

Originally Posted by afree
To start, I posted this in the main oil section here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../oil-recommendation-2020-gr-supra#UNREAD

However, since this is a BMW engine I thought I may get more specific recommendations for what oil to use here. The available for oil for both the Supra and z4 seems scarcely available at mainstream retailers. My main driving habits are pretty hard on the street, especially here in florida so 0w-20 seems a bit thin but also concerned about warranty issues. My initial thought was LM 6600 but still seems a little too thin for my liking. 0w-40 was my thought but again, warranty. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

What does your manual says? I know Toyota manuals usually have that notice saying that under heavy duty operation higher grade is OK. Does it have that?
If not, due to warranty issues I would stick to recommended oil until warranty. The day warranty is gone, go to:
Castrol Edge 0W40
Mobil1 0W40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
Motul X-Cess 5W40

there are many very good oils, even better than the spec but the warranty "might" be an issue! a 10W-30 REAL synthetic is a good choice after break-in IMO hot climates best not use very thin oils + cold flow is NOT an issue! i ran 10-30 real synthetic 200 thou i my 275 HP 2001 1.8T jetta without issue. enjoy your neat car, even without the missing manual tranny!!

While under warranty stic with the same spec as required. Outside of warranty I would move up to a 0/5-30 or even a 0/5-40. You're in Florida so you don't need he cold flow properties of a 0w, I mean you could use it if you want no harm no foul you know? I'd say castrol 0w30 after warranty is up, good stuff.

Most off the shelf oils will do you just fine. If you really want to spend the money for your baby go crazy with Redline, Amsoil or Ravenol after warranty is up in terms of different weights. Its our opinions vs your money, spend it as you like. Enjoy your car and if you run any oil know where to post em. Cheers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My initial thought was using mobil 1 0w-40 through the life of this engine but since the extended warranty was included in the deal it has me wondering. Especially since it no longer holds any bmw specs. I drive it hard so I may disregard it...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My initial thought was using mobil 1 0w-40 through the life of this engine but since the extended warranty was included in the deal it has me wondering. Especially since it no longer holds any bmw specs. I drive it hard so I may disregard it...

Again, what manual says? Is there usual Toyota wording: in heavy duty use owner can use heavier oil (something along those lines)?

Originally Posted by edyvw

Again, what manual says? Is there usual Toyota wording: in heavy duty use owner can use heavier oil (something along those lines)?

0W-20 SN C5. Manual says 0w-30 can be used for adding oil.

Yeah, BMW recommends 0W20 in the USA for all B58 engines. Why? Improved mileage. I run 5W30 LM in my 2018 M240i as that's what BMW puts in cars with the B58 engine not sold in the US. So, go with a 5w30 that carries "BMW LL04" designation.

Originally Posted by edyvw

0W-20 SN C5. Manual says 0w-30 can be used for adding oil.

Stick to 0W20 during warranty if that will bug you.
After that, numerous LL01 and LL04 oils are available.

1594684731396.png

1594685909092.png

Last edited:
Sounds streetable compared to Pennzoil Racing of VI 377. No ugly disclaimer, instead detailing acceptable OCIs of 10000 miles for Touring.

Guess I'll just stick with the recommended spec'd oil then switch later. The Toyota stuff is $63 for 5 liters. Any thoughts on LM 6600?
thumbnail_detail_1576765060796_ctx-1.jpg

The engine oil and lubricant supplier or first fill for all Toyota GR Supra GT4 race cars is Ravenol not Mobil 1. Mobil is partnered with Toyota for the endurance Le Mans, rally cars, and im sure some others. Toyota Gazoo racing uses several oil manufactures depending on the race cars and also the division or region of Toyota Gazoo racing. The GR Supra GT4 is assembled in Germany at the Toyota Gazoo Europe (GMBH) location with Ravenol oils. Also the recommended oils for the GT 86 race cars is Ravenol. Below are a few screen shot of info from Toyota. They also have a brochure that highlights this. With a little google searching some more in depth info can be found as to the exact products Toyota is using in the GR Supra GT4. Hope this helps. A little information and food for thought.

toyota-supra-ravenol.jpg

toyota-supra-europe-ravenol.jpg

toyota-supra-brochure-ravenol.jpg

The engine oil and lubricant supplier or first fill for all Toyota GR Supra GT4 race cars is Ravenol not Mobil 1. Mobil is partnered with Toyota for the endurance Le Mans, rally cars, and im sure some others. Toyota Gazoo racing uses several oil manufactures depending on the race cars and also the division or region of Toyota Gazoo racing. The GR Supra GT4 is assembled in Germany at the Toyota Gazoo Europe (GMBH) location with Ravenol oils. Also the recommended oils for the GT 86 race cars is Ravenol. Below are a few screen shot of info from Toyota. They also have a brochure that highlights this. With a little google searching some more in depth info can be found as to the exact products Toyota is using in the GR Supra GT4. Hope this helps. A little information and food for thought.

Very interesting and thanks for the info! Seems suited for a racecar but not sure how it would apply in real world street driving.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 6600. Mainly due to its price and meeting the specs. I'm still open to other better options with higher viscosity though.

Guess I'll just stick with the recommended spec'd oil then switch later. The Toyota stuff is $63 for 5 liters. Any thoughts on LM 6600?View attachment 24991
Nope, stick to Toyota GR 0W20, it is better oil. If you want LL-17FE, get BMW TPT.

Not sure what is the point here? Ravenol is involved in sponsorship here. It does not mean anything more or less, than sponsorship.

Back