Oil Rec. for 2000 TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just joined today, have visited the site on and off for a year or so, been lurkin the past week, so I decided to join up.

Have a 2000 Acura TL, 188k miles. Runs great, purchased at 167k couple years ago. Seemed adequately taken care of by previous owner with mostly highway miles.
I'm do for an oil change, ran RP 5w30 previously, now has RP HPS 5w30, at almost 10k, and burned about 1qt in that time. Was planning on trying out Redline oil, was planning on 5w20, but now I see they changed it up a little, so I was wondering if dropping a grade was still a good idea? Or if I should go 3 quarts 0w20 with two quarts 0w40?
It is a bit expensive for not being a long drain oil however, so I am open to other suggestions. The car did seem to like the HPS a lot. I do have what I believe is some very minor lifter noise, but I believe the valves are due for adjustment.
Thanks guys, and go easy on me lol

Last edited:
Maxlife 5w30, should do 7500 mile OCI no problem, I would still get a UOA done to verify interval. Also see if this helps your consumption ( which isnt excessive by any means to begin with ).

PU/PP 5w30 if you want to use a Synthetic fluid. Really any API SN/GF-5 rated full synthetic oil should do well in a moderate to long drain interval. Maxlife 5w20 has ran the smoothest in my Acura's J32A1, hence the recommendation.

I haven't been a fan of maxlife. But I was considering PU. I am a bit concerned about the oil loss, this is the first time that I've had any easily noticeable loss, though it isn't close to severe; but being so sudden is a bit worrisome to me.
I know the TL dropped to 5w20 due to CAFE in '02, but I know a lot still run 30 now. I've never considered running 20 before, living in Norcal and the car calling for 30.

If I were to try out Redline, interests me from what I've read about it, and the tranny fluid is excellent in my experience, what weight should I go with? And should be good for what, 6k oci? Driving is probably 60/40 city/highway, with city being a lot of driving at once, so only occasionally making trips not allowing oil to reach temp.

Also, I haven't yet seen any real info on RP's new HMX. Also a tempting oil since the HPS did well.

Originally Posted By: Chevelle66
I haven't been a fan of maxlife. But I was considering PU. I am a bit concerned about the oil loss, this is the first time that I've had any easily noticeable loss, though it isn't close to severe; but being so sudden is a bit worrisome to me.
I know the TL dropped to 5w20 due to CAFE in '02, but I know a lot still run 30 now. I've never considered running 20 before, living in Norcal and the car calling for 30.

If I were to try out Redline, interests me from what I've read about it, and the tranny fluid is excellent in my experience, what weight should I go with? And should be good for what, 6k oci? Driving is probably 60/40 city/highway, with city being a lot of driving at once, so only occasionally making trips not allowing oil to reach temp.

Also, I haven't yet seen any real info on RP's new HMX. Also a tempting oil since the HPS did well.

Try their 0w30 oil.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
What did the previous owner do for an OCI?

iirc he was going by the manual for normal, non-severe oci of 7500 miles, since it was mostly highway, using whatever the dealer used.

Originally Posted By: bourne

Try their 0w30 oil.

From what I've read, and my very limited knowledge looking at the specs, I was under the impression the 0w30 was less impressive compared to the 0w20 and 40, thus my wondering if I should mix the two.

Anyone have more input?

Planning on going with Redline 0w30 for this change. But also still thinking about mixing 0w20 and 0w40; if I'm looking at it right, doing that looks really good also.
Since the J32A1 has been spec for 5w20 a few model years later, should I consider running it instead of 30?

going down a grade from a 30 to a 20 is no problem. why not try the RL 5w20? I have ran 20 weights in most of my Honda's at one time or another. Try it let us know how it goes. I just put VML 5w30 in my 98 Tl 1st time i have used a 5w30 in any vehicle since i joined BITOG's. i needed a HM oil that was sn/gf5 and it also is Dexos1 approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back