Oil Questions for My New Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Snapper zero turn mower with a Kawasaki engine on it. It is time to change the oil as the season approaches and I had a few questions I was hoping I could get answered.

I am probably going to go with an SAE30 or a 10w-40. I live in Southeast TN so it does get pretty warm in the summer. My first question is this: is there a huge difference between a SAE30 and a 10w-40 when it comes to small engines. I know the 10w-40 is rated for a wider variety of temperatures. I am planning on picking up a few yards to mow this summer so if it will be better I was leaning towards the 10w-40.

My next question is are there differences between oils that are sold just as a conventional 10w-40 and those oils that are marketed as 4 cycle oils. The weights are the same. Not sure if there is anything "special" in a 4 cycle oil.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

I first would review the owners manual and see what oil viscosity and type is recommended. I prefer a synthetic oil for my air cooled lawn mower engines. There is no "special" oil other than what the owners manual reommends. Ed Ed

I have a kawasaki fr651v on my zero turn. I started out running amsoil hdd in it. Lately i've run 15w40 delo. All seem to do fine. I'll probably stay with a 15w40.

Kawasaki generally recommends 10w40 and up to 20w50 depending on outdoor temperatures. Seeing that you are in Tennessee, 10w40 or 15w40 would work well.

I have a snapper pro with a Kawasaki FX 850. Mobil 1 15W50 is perfect. These air cool engines run a lot hotter than water cooled engines. Under load
my oil temp. is 250F plus. Also use 15W50 in the hydo drive.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I first would review the owners manual and see what oil viscosity and type is recommended. I prefer a synthetic oil for my air cooled lawn mower engines. There is no "special" oil other than what the owners manual reommends. Ed Ed

This.

Originally Posted by Eddie

Well said.

I have a zero turn with a Kaw engine on it . Right now I am running M1 HM 10/30 because I need to use up the ( 2) 5qt containers I have on hand. I have used delo15/40 before and will use it again once I finish off the M1. I also use the MC 910s oil filter.

Originally Posted by CamBurt33
My next question is are there differences between oils that are sold just as a conventional 10w-40 and those oils that are marketed as 4 cycle oils. The weights are the same. Not sure if there is anything "special" in a 4 cycle oil.

Conventional 10W40 is 4 cycle oil. Oils that are labeled as 4 cycle are usually 200% more expensive, and are just labeled as 4 cycle oil for marketing reasons.

Heavy duty engine oil in 15W40 weight is ideal for this engine, and cheap. Nothing else needed. You'll get thousands of hours use out of this engine using nothing more than 15W40.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by CamBurt33

Conventional 10W40 is 4 cycle oil. Oils that are labeled as 4 cycle are usually 200% more expensive, and are just labeled as 4 cycle oil for marketing reasons.

Heavy duty engine oil in 15W40 weight is ideal for this engine, and cheap. Nothing else needed. You'll get thousands of hours use out of this engine using nothing more than 15W40.

+1

It's what I service most of the small engines with that are used in the summer for my customers. I buy whatever is on sale, most of the time it is SuperTech 15w40, Valvoline Diesel 15w40, or Rotella 15w40.

I have a Kawasaki engine in my Scag zero turn and I run Mobil 1 15W-50 here in Florida. I tried 15W-40 and found that it used a little oil, however the engine may not have been broken in at the time. But the 15W-50 is doing well so I'll keep it.

I also use M1 15W50 in my Ferris with the 28hp EFI Vanguard. The owner manual says it's good for anything above 20 degrees and I'm not mowing when it's that cold.

I like Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage for OPE applications because of its 3.5 HTHS viscosity. That said, M1 15w-50 with its HTHS of 4.5 also has a following here. Delo 400 XSP 5w-40 with HTHS of 4.2 might be a good compromise. Rotella T6 5w-40 is also popular,but they don't publish HTHS viscosity and no longer display a gasoline engine rating.

Delo XLE 15W-40 also has an HTHS of 4.2.....since mowing one does not need the low winter grade. Cheaper too!

I have a Snapper Zero Turn w/Kawasaki engine that I purchased from my neighbor.

You could get the Kawasaki oil.

I currently run Amsoil Small Engine oil in both my mowers. I used the Kawasaki oil the first year.

My understanding is these types of engines (OPE) can use oils that have a lot of extra
minerals and stuff in them that you can't put in auto engines. That is why I don't use
auto engine oils in my Honda and Kawasaki engines.

I also only run the Kawasaki and Honda OEM air and oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back