Oil quality & Timing Chain Cam phased life 3.5 EB

In my 2019 F150 3.5 EB I’ve already had the dreaded start up rattle and had timing chain & cam phaser job done at approximately 100,000 miles. I’m at 185,000 miles now and the start up rattle fix has been the only major work I’ve had to do on this truck. I need it to last a while longer and have no extended warranty protection to cover the timing chain/cam phaser repair should it happen again. Truck does not have any start up rattle and hasn’t since the prior repair.

I’ve read all I can find on here re: HPL PCMO 5w30 and how it has kept an entire fleet of F150’s in service with no timing/cam phaser issues in any of the trucks. Given the number of miles on my truck does it make sense to use the HPL vs a regular API SP approved 5w30 given that I want to prolong the life of this engine as long as possible? Or am I just on borrowed time already at 185,000 miles with this engine so no benefit in spending the money on HPL? I know it’s theoretical but could a niche oil such as HPL (or Redline, Amsoil, etc.) possibly extend engine life longer than what I can find at Walmart?

Forgive me if the above is a dumb question. I’m new here and only have a very basic understanding of lubricants compared to you guys on this forum. What little I know about oils has been from reading this forum.

Thanks,

Josh

In my 2019 F150 3.5 EB I’ve already had the dreaded start up rattle and had timing chain & cam phaser job done at approximately 100,000 miles. I’m at 185,000 miles now and the start up rattle fix has been the only major work I’ve had to do on this truck. I need it to last a while longer and have no extended warranty protection to cover the timing chain/cam phaser repair should it happen again. Truck does not have any start up rattle and hasn’t since the prior repair.

I’ve read all I can find on here re: HPL PCMO 5w30 and how it has kept an entire fleet of F150’s in service with no timing/cam phaser issues in any of the trucks. Given the number of miles on my truck does it make sense to use the HPL vs a regular API SP approved 5w30 given that I want to prolong the life of this engine as long as possible? Or am I just on borrowed time already at 185,000 miles with this engine so no benefit in spending the money on HPL? I know it’s theoretical but could a niche oil such as HPL (or Redline, Amsoil, etc.) possibly extend engine life longer than what I can find at Walmart?

Forgive me if the above is a dumb question. I’m new here and only have a very basic understanding of lubricants compared to you guys on this forum. What little I know about oils has been from reading this forum.

Thanks,

Josh
i may not have an eco boost, but i swapped my truck to HPL products at 236k miles. i don’t think it’s ever too late.

I'll take a swing that may be totally off the wall

everybody says to change it no longer than 5k on these motors and that they love fresh oil, guessing the phaser/timing chain issues are a matter of broken down oil (viscosity change, dirty oil) in theory, I would think that one of these higher end oils thats more resistant to viscosity change, may do better.

I had a 14 3.5eb, I started running amsoil in it at 100k and it was quieter, got traded in at 120k so I'm not sure it was an actual improvement or just me looking to justify my expensive oil purchase, but either way, I've pretty much ran boutique oils in everything since.

Doesn’t matter for the late ‘16-‘20 ish 3.5EBs.

It’s simply a design flaw.

I have a 2018 F150 Raptor, Cobb tuned. I’ve tracked the oil analysis since I’ve had it. I run Redline Euro 5w30. There’s been increasing aluminum in the UoAs since I got it. Oil isn’t going to fix the design flaw in it and how sloppy they get. There is no amount of EP additives that will protect it, or fresh oil.

If you look at the replacement parts, they’re a completely different design and style. I’m also guessing different metallurgical properties as well.

Once they’re done, the problem is fixed.

Doesn’t matter for the late ‘16-‘20 ish 3.5EBs.

It’s simply a design flaw.

If you look at the replacement parts, they’re a completely different design and style. I’m also guessing different metallurgical properties as well.

Once they’re done, the problem is fixed.
Then "it depends" on what went in to repair the OPs truck at 100,000 miles.
Josh, do you have the part numbers for what was installed at 100k?

The complete re-designed parts didn’t come out until early / mid 2022. Something like February or March iirc. So it depends on when OP had the cam phasers done. And also, what parts were used.

I’m probably going to do mine pre-maturely here by the end of the summer. I’ll try to get some pictures.

Danno, I’ll have to look and see if I have a printout from when they repaired my truck as I don’t know that info off hand. I do believe I had the work done in March of 2022.

Josh

Back