oil pressure help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lilrobo
i do see air in the line .. would that make a difference ??

14.5psi error would correlate to nearly a 40 foot vertical head of air in the line, so even a foot would change the reading by less than half a psi.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I wouldn't necessarily up the SAE viscosity- I'd go with a high viscosity INDEX oil that is more temperature-stable first. I personally would try Rotella T6 5w40 first. If that didn't boost pressures a little (you're really not "out of spec" for an old American v8 as it is...), then and only then would I try something like M1 15w50.

How does that help with oil pressure, unless the oil is running substantially over 100C ?

At temperatures under 100C, an SAE 40 will be thicker than a 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I wouldn't necessarily up the SAE viscosity- I'd go with a high viscosity INDEX oil that is more temperature-stable first. I personally would try Rotella T6 5w40 first. If that didn't boost pressures a little (you're really not "out of spec" for an old American v8 as it is...), then and only then would I try something like M1 15w50.

Neither oils have a high viscosity index.

Originally Posted By: lilrobo
what is xw40 ?? , i put a bottle of lucus treatment , and i'll see what it does,, i was thinking about do 20w50 ? maybe ,, anyway i am just going to drive it for now ,, i had a 58 biscayne with a 235 l6 it had bad oil pressure i ended up rebuilding it, i had 2k in the motor ,people thought i was crazy , but it was still all original when i sold it ,, i know a sbc 350 it cheaper to rebuild , i hate to have the truck down , i love driving it lol

thanks guys i'll keep you posted

Do NOT USE LUCAS. You will dilute the oils add pack. Lucas contains no additives whatsoever. Just thick oil.
Use a straight 60 oil or some form of mono grade since they contain detergents and anti-wear additives. Lucas will lead to sludge. Its total garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back