Oil preasure drop when towing

Good morning, I just found this site last night thought I would see if I could find an answer to a problem with my truck. It's a 2012 gmc, 5.3 motor, oil pressure is high 30's when warm , no mater temperatures or driving conditions until I hook onto a trailer. After about 250 miles my preasure starts to drop to low to mid 20 lbs. This during the winter towing snowmobile trailer weighing about 4600 lbs. Apparently the oil gets heated to the point it thins out. I've changed oil sending unit and screen. I've been using Mobil 1. I've talked to several techs that have no idea, just tell me to add some Lucas oils stabilizer. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated. Thanks Tom

Have you looked at or replaced the O-ring for the oil pickup tube?

Have you also disabled the AFM yet?

Have you looked at or replaced the O-ring for the oil pickup tube?

Have you also disabled the AFM yet?

No on the o ring and yes on the afm delete, I use a Range Technology device that plugs into the computer port. Is there a way to delete the afm by reprogramming computer?

What oil temps are you seeing? what oil are you using? 5w30?
are you mentioning IDLE oil psi or what?
not enough details to give any sort of informed answer.

Pretty sure the answer is "working as intended" from your sparse details.

No on the o ring and yes on the afm delete, I use a Range Technology device that plugs into the computer port. Is there a way to delete the afm by reprogramming computer?
Technically, that's just disabling it, not deleting it. Delete would be removing the physical hardware for the AFM system.

I would run thicker oil if you are concerned with it. I run xW40 in my Expedition 5.4l 2v when towing and xW50 in my C1500 5.7l. Try 40 weight first and see how it does. If you want it thicker use Schaeffer Moly EP over Lucas

What oil temps are you seeing? what oil are you using? 5w30?
are you mentioning IDLE oil psi or what?
not enough details to give any sort of informed answer.

Pretty sure the answer is "working as intended" from your sparse details.
My truck doesn’t give engine oil temp(at least that I have found), I am using Mobil 1 5w-30 decos. Oil pressure normally is around 55 lbs cold and around 35 to 38 lbs warm driving and 20 at idle. After towing my oil pressure will be 40 lbs cold and about 24-25 at highway speed, and that’s in 4th gear at about 2650 rpms and about 20 lbs at idle. After towing the oil pressure will stay at lower levels till I change oil telling me the oil is getting hot and breaking down, at least.

If you have a mechanic that tells you "just add some Lucas oil stabilizer" you need to find a new mechanic
Unfortunately I’ve had 2 or 3 tell me to add the Lucas lol tells haven’t found the right mechanic.

Technically, that's just disabling it, not deleting it. Delete would be removing the physical hardware for the AFM system.
What all is removed to delete? It seems what I’ve read the lifters are involved, what else?

your location + ambient temps are important as well as the miles on the engine as wear can lower oil pressures. unless its the mentioned O ring a xx w 40 might help + depending on your climate a higher cold # is generally an oil needing less viscosity improvers

My truck has about 84000 miles but this problem has been around a while. Originally I thought I had gotten a bad batch’s of oil when the dealer changed the oil.

Back