Longer distance towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've extensively traveled North America (USA, Canada, Mexico) with pickups and vans towing race car trailers. I've learned quite a bit, as I often towed an enclosed, 3 axle, 6 car trailer (open wheel race cars) .

1) Don't push your tire weight limits. Whether it's your pickup's rear axle, or your trailers tires.
2) Drive slowly, slower than you might naturally drive. I never exceeded the limit and often slightly below with a heavy trailer.
3) Check your tire temps from time to time, to assess strain.
4) Carry a spare trailer tire, tools and jack. (pump and plug kit too)
5) I try hard not to strain the engine or transmission. Often by accelerating slowly at part throttle.
6) You'll have a blast having fun! Instead of dealing with problems.

I appreciate everyone great tips, (Tow haul mode) will be staying on the entire trip, my trailer is rated at around 3,000 lbs and im going to have less that 1,150 totall weight on the trailer.. so im pretty confident.

Over the weekend i pulled all my old decking off the trailer and replaced with new, and repainted (with truck bed liner) and sealed the wood onthe deck. The tires have less than 200 miles totall on them, This Thursday the trailer goes to the RV shop to make sure the axle is 100% in order and the bearing's and races are in great shape.

again, thanks for everyone input.

Check your bearings by touching your hubs when you arrive at your destination. They should be cool to the touch.

^^^This is the method I have used since the sixties for any wheel bearings, sealed or not.

Only these days we use a cheapo infra red pistol style thermometer

Only I would not wait until you get to your destination. I'd check after 30 minutes or so, make sure neither tire nor hub is hot. If that 30 min was backroads driving, then you got onto the highway, I would check after another 30 min of high speed driving, since most issues get worse with the square of speed, it seems.

If all is good, then I would just check every couple hours, or every gas fillup. Won't take but a minute to do a quick walk-around, checking tire/hub temp, making sure nothing is dragging, etc. Maybe turn on the four-way indicators, make sure all tail lamps are still working too.

UPDATE: UPDATE: UPDATE: (( and the plot thickens ))....

Picked up the trailer from RV shop, all bearing and races good, they relubed and sealed bearings (said they were getting dry) $80 out the door. I installed my bike front wheel chalks saturday and made sure everything was nice and snug.. at the point im happy witht he trailer.

Ok, so Sunday i had everyone to the house for a test, we loaded everyone and all four bikes in the truck and trailer, two bikes in the bed of truck, two bikes on the trailer. (No gear).

Results: i got the truck up to 65 mph and it pulled straight and true with zero problems, the truck for sure needs to stay in tow haul mode, with the load on and moving tow/haul is'nt so harsh and feels needed, so using tow/haul the whole trip is a solid call. Tnose of the truck is up a little but not enuff to cause worry, stearing was solid and breaking was fine. so with 4 bikes and 4 men its solid, no weight distributing hitch needed.

And thats where this plot thickens
smile.gif

Another friend is asking to go.. and there is room on the back of the trailer and room in the extended cab for another passenger, this would up the weight another 700lbs with his bike, gear and himself. This would put me in the 4,200-4,400 range.

Everything i have read says that weight distrubuting hitch and the need for trailer brakes is for loads above 5,000 lbs.. Im not there yet but im not far away. the majority of this new extra weight would be on the BACK of the trailer behind the axle, so it would actually be lifting a bit of the tongue weight but increasing the overall load weight.

I dont see a oppertunity before this trip to re-load and re-test drive the entire rig with everyone and everything going.
With that said would you just go ahead and invest in that weight distributing hitch or just let it ride ?

No need for testing anything else. Load up, keep the Tow button on, drive cautiously and responsibly, but do relax and enjoy the trip. You and your truck will be fine.

Well, Im back from this trip. I averaged 12.4 mpg in the 5.3 Ltr Vortec and the tow/haul was gravy, i left it on the entire trip without trouble... I was deffinately over thinking this one fellas. The only trouble i ran into with the trailer was when i got home i noticed that from midway across my passenger side tire to the outer outside lip the rubber is now about 1/2 gone (worn out) so somethings not right.. the other tire doesnt even look used yet..
And yes i made a big observation with my truck, but i think it warrants a new thread and discussion. I will write it out and post it shortly.

Odd, I'd think a bent axle would wear both tires. How old are the tires? Was the wear even around the tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back