Oil or filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading numerous threads on ticking sounds and engine "clatter." Sometimes at startup for about 10 to 15 seconds, sometimes longer. Some say it never goes away. Then you read about how some feel it's the filters' vault. Bad ADBV or just a bad filter period. My question: I have a 01 F150 5.4 with M1 5W-30 and Motorcraft Fl820-S. When it's below, say 35F and a cold engine, I get a slight knocking sound for about 10 seconds, then goes away. When the temperatures are above, say 50F and cold engine, no noise at all. Is it the oil, oil filter or engine itself? Is this cold knock? Piston slap? I've heard other members say piston slap will go away after engine has warmed up, others say it never goes away. Could the filter be bad? I mean that difference in temperature shouldn't even matter with the M1, right? So, what is it? Bad ADBV? Bad oil pump? Aluminum heads that just make noise that us older ( I'm only 40) iron block guys are not used too? See what I mean? LOTS of potential explanations out there....so what does one do besides worrying????

You don't say how many miles, nor if it has been M1 for the entire time. I shouldn't think a motorcraft filter would be it, but a change in filter could easily determine this. Often that start up sound is accumulation in the valve lifters. A treatment with Auto Rx should do away with that.

Oh yeah, would help.... 01' F150, 27K and up till 4K ago, it had whatever Walmart had on sale....it was my Dad's truck and he wasn't into the whole oil thing. I can't believe it would be valve accumulation.

[ March 20, 2004, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

Every car I've had has sounded like c*** until it warmed up a little (Hondas, Chevies, Volvo). I make it a point to turn the radio on quickly and not worry about it.
I think as long as it sounds good when it's warm you are golden.

That is exactly along the lines I was thinking. My '90 Olds does the exact same. Once the engine was warmed, it would quit doing it and purr like a kitten. If the engine sat more than 6 hours, it would do it. My point was if the oil drains back into the pan after it's been sitting a while, don't all engines make some sort of noise? But then I read on here about members who get no noise, even at twenty ba-jillion below zero, including the Chevy's.

[ March 20, 2004, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

Sort of sounds like the beginning of a cold engine piston slap to me. My 5.4 did the same thing. Now at 115,000 is will do it two or three minutes. Not very noticeable until you put some load on it. When fully warmed up it goes away. Still runs like a champ. Pretty common to the 5.4 and some of the 4.6 mod motors do it as well. My old Mark VIII did it but it never lasted more than just a couple of seconds in it. I do not think it will hurt anything but if you are under warranty I would take it to a dealer and have it looked at. They will probably say it is normal but you will have your complaint on file just in case.

From what I gathered at other forums, it's kind of the norm. I was just checking out you guys and see what ya'll had to say about it. Hey, I used to live in Clarksville.

Depends on how loud it is.

Quiet noise: Normal injector noise (turn up your stereo)

Mild noise: Exhaust manifold leak, EGR is dirty (I can email you cleaning instructions if you need)

Loud noise: Piston slap (you're SOL).

Schmoe, I have a 97 5.4 and it does the same thime thing only a lot longer. UOA looked great. I think the noise is more of a nuisance than anything if it is indeed piston slap. Have it checked by the dealer. There have been engine replacements. Mine still runs very strong but still makes the noise. Nothing I tried would change it. Different filters, oil, etc. Hope everthing works well for you. I am sure they miss you in Clarksville.

I would definitely check the Ford TSB's and the various forums on causes and solutions. Is the truck still under warranty? I would also use the factory rec. Motorcraft filter,esp. if under warranty. Dont go by the owners manual, go by the Ford parts counter 'look up' on the computer. Some times they change the recommendation for oil filters. My 1994 owner's manual says PF51 and they now rec. PF 52 (AC Delco). I think the PF 52 has an ADV.

quote:

Originally posted by seldont:
Schmoe, I have a 97 5.4 and it does the same thime thing only a lot longer. UOA looked great. I think the noise is more of a nuisance than anything if it is indeed piston slap. Have it checked by the dealer. There have been engine replacements. Mine still runs very strong but still makes the noise. Nothing I tried would change it. Different filters, oil, etc. Hope everthing works well for you. I am sure they miss you in Clarksville.

I have to agree with Seldont, as a machine in use ages, all you can do is extend its useful life.

The noise described is familiar, from hearing many trucks on construction sites where I work, much sooner I presume because of less stringent care. The engine still runs...

It can also be components causing a similar noise, like distributor drive gear/ shaft assembly, Timing gears and chain, which do get louder, especially when the oil to these parts are insufficuent.

If it bothers you , how about a chamber pressurized with air and oil that shoots the oil into the engine when you start it... I saw one in a post before, http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001316
notice that the SAE findings do not help with Job Creation.

I also know it is found in marine engines, large generator engines, and some aircraft can run an oil pump to circulate oil before the engine is fired.... well, those engines are expensive

offtopic.gif
Am I taking jobs away while trying to protect our environment? Or is there enough Quikki Lube customers to help support future BITOG Oil Nuts?

Schmoe, By the way there are some hidden warranty monies available out there if you vehicle is not too far over the mileage. Some dealers will try to help more than others especially if you really have a serious problem. However in your case I would say the problem is not serious. It is an annoying problem but is also common if you check the Ford truck forums. Everyone either has it or knows someone who does. I doubt your choice of filter has anything to do with it in this case. As long as that 5.4 does not start spitting it sparkplugs you probably will run that thing forever. By the way even though you probably already know you should probably check the torque on you sparkplugs if you have not already. I have not had the problem but know someone who has. That sometimes can make a ticking noise till the engine warms up if any are starting to get loose. Just a fyi in case you did not know. .........seldont

[ March 22, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: seldont ]

No, warranty is out. It did it this morning for about 5 secs, ambiet temperature was 44. I am using the Motorcraft FL820S, which has been getting killer reviews not just on this forum, but others as well. I've wondered with the filter being mounted horizontally and down that low, if you really would need a ADBV. Maybe that valve is stiff when it gets to a certian temperature and takes a few secs for it to loosen up. Wonder if getting filter without one would make a difference???

No, warranty is out. It did it this morning for about 5 secs, ambiet temperature was 44. I am using the Motorcraft FL820S, which has been getting killer reviews not just on this forum, but others as well. I've wondered with the filter being mounted horizontally and down that low, if you really would need a ADBV. Maybe that valve is stiff when it gets to a certian temperature and takes a few secs for it to loosen up. Wonder if getting filter without one would make a difference???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back