Oil Mix???

Originally Posted by c502cid
In a small block? Run it. With all the mechanic in a can that gets added to oils, I'll bet an old 350 has seen it before, and will take it just fine. I might run a shorter OCI, but I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over it either.

This.

Doesn't motorcycle oil have alot if zinc in it? I don't think the one quart of power steering fluid would dilute it to a point that's it's not protecting it from wear. However what exactly is power steering fluid and what additives does it have? I'm assuming it's not far off from ATF.

Originally Posted by c502cid
In a small block? Run it. With all the mechanic in a can that gets added to oils, I'll bet an old 350 has seen it before, and will take it just fine. I might run a shorter OCI, but I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over it either.

I agree with this. It's not going to hurt it. A UOA would be very interesting too!

Reminds me of the day my teenage son changed the oil in a 1987 Camry and kicked the drain plug into a pile of autumn leaves.

If the boy cares at all about it, he should do a complete oil and filter change now. Why take the chance or guess if it'll be OK?

Dude should be thanking his grandson.
He probably grabbed the oldest dustiest bottle on the shelf...
Let's be honest when are you actually going to use straight 40w in one of the snowiest cities in the country?
I highly doubt that mix is going to hurt anything.

Maybe add some solvent cleaner flush at idle per can directions then change.

That being said if it were me I would prolly change it. (Unsupervised grandson wouldn't be touching my car either)
Leave the filter.

Last edited:
If the Gunk P/S fluid is close the these specs it's probably ok

E652063A-B590-42B3-A495-96246E22371D.jpeg

Originally Posted by hatt
That's a better mix than the oils the old 350 got back in the day. I'd run it for 3K.

+1

if it was my car...new oil & filter! and I am saying this as a 40wt frankenbrewer for my motorcycle & scooter! recycle the oil or donate it to a farm that uses waste oil in barn heaters

I would dump it.
I am all for mixing different brands and weights of engine oil, have done it in the past and will do it in the future, but that is power steering/hydraulic fluid that was added, it will do no good in there and could do harm.

Back