Oil level on dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducman
Oh, so your leak is at the rear of the engine.

It may be worse than the sump gasket.
If the sump bolts were all to spec as you say, then it may well actually be the rear main that's leaking?
If so, then if you have a manual transmission it's better done sooner than later as you don't want the clutch ruined from motor oil contamination if it turns out to be the rear main.

I wonder if there's a threaded blanking plug at the back of the block?
Perhaps there's one at the end of an oil gallery where it's leaking at the thread because it has come loose?
It's also a possibility.

Then either way the engine has to come out for a better look/fix anyway.
Can you do the work yourself?
Psych yourself up.
Good luck.

Keep the rubber side down.

It's an auto trans, so it's all sealed up. This is a known issue on this type of truck.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Just out of curiosity... what year is the truck in question? I know that the crossmember between the rear LCA brackets was removable on P221 and P415...

So PN96...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Ducman
Oh, so your leak is at the rear of the engine.

It may be worse than the sump gasket.
If the sump bolts were all to spec as you say, then it may well actually be the rear main that's leaking?
If so, then if you have a manual transmission it's better done sooner than later as you don't want the clutch ruined from motor oil contamination if it turns out to be the rear main.

I wonder if there's a threaded blanking plug at the back of the block?
Perhaps there's one at the end of an oil gallery where it's leaking at the thread because it has come loose?
It's also a possibility.

Then either way the engine has to come out for a better look/fix anyway.
Can you do the work yourself?
Psych yourself up.
Good luck.

Keep the rubber side down.

It's an auto trans, so it's all sealed up. This is a known issue on this type of truck.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Just out of curiosity... what year is the truck in question? I know that the crossmember between the rear LCA brackets was removable on P221 and P415...

Great.
Then it's a little more straight forward.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

As far as attempting to put RTV where the leak is, I would have to drop the transmission in order to do so. The pan is DEEP and there is literally half an inch of space between the rear of the pan and the trans bellhousing. I can barely fit a finger between let alone reach far in enough to competently apply a bead of sealant.

Time to grab the can of Great Stuff
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back