Bad oil pan gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was in the tire shop getting my free tire rotation on my 08 F150 today and the manager calls me out to look at an oil leak on my truck. Says the oil pan gasket is leaking and needs replaced for $500. I looked at it on the lift, and yes there was some oil on the side of the pan, right along side the oil filter mount. My truck is garage kept, and I have never had even one drop of oil on the floor nor have I ever seen the oil level low. Could this thing be really leaking oil or is this guy just trying to make a sale?

Could be leaking, but the oil filter adapter gasket is a lot more common. That is pretty cheap labor for that gasket considering you are supposed to pull the motor to change it.

Since it is garage kept and you pay attention to oil on the floor and oil level, clean it up and evaluate it every 3 months with a visual inspection. If it is a real problem, it will demonstrate itself over time with many drips and or fluid level change. A very small leak like in my Jeep just gets cleaned periodically and oil to bring it to full level. I would not pay that money to fix a tiny leak. Just my opinion
cheers3.gif

If he did not engineer your problem then you might be dealing with competence bordering on sabotage. If he did not suggest cleaning the area and checking back on your next service then he is getting ahead of your budget instead of helping you to maintain your vehicle.

Being it's due for an oil change, I'm going to change it today, then clean up all the oil from around the pan and just watch it. After all this went down I looked up their reviews on Google, and many people claimed the same thing. I don't think I'll be back to see them for anything at this point.

Well, I changed the oil and then cleaned all the oil off from the lower end of the engine and oil pan with engine degreaser and simple green. Had everything all cleaned up to the point where you wouldn't even know there was oil there. I then drove from NW Indiana to Tenn and back, round trip of 1300 miles. I crawled under there and guess what? No oil leaking. Just as clean as I left it. Looks like they where trying to con me into a repair that wasn't needed.

Had one of my kids getting a shredding belt replaced and the tech told him he needed a oil pan and valve cover gasket.
We snugged em up and cleaned the oil pan. Still no leaks and that was a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back