Oil level on dipstick after a couple of days?

Sorry for what may be an obvious answer - I thought I overfilled my oil because the dipstick was wet above the MAX level. The car sat for a couple of days and I just went and checked the dipstick and the oil level is exactly where it should be. Since the engine has not been run is this an accurate reading? Thank you in advance.

Ford actually states that the oil should be hot, and drain back to the sump for 20 minutes before checking the level. On the Transits, it does make a difference-if it reads full after sitting cold overnight it will show overfilled when doing it their way. Depending on how good your filter ADBV is, or if you have a chain tensioner leaking, the level will go up after sitting a couple days (my MGM 4.6 does).

My Volvo shows 1/2 quart low even after sitting for a half hour. In fact it states in the owners manual that after being shutoff, wait 20 minutes before checking the oil level. It should read 1/2 way between the quart low and the full mark on the dip stick. If the car sits over night it reads at the full mark on the dip stick.

I remember reading that on the Fiat Eco Diesel, in the Ram 1500 pickups, it says right in the manual that you have to wait for at least 20 minutes after doing an oil change and adding the new oil, before starting the vehicle.

I'm sure that rule is followed to the letter at all the crowded "Quick Lube" centers. (n) A lot of people like to call B.S. on it. But it actually is in the manual.

My Lucerne's owners manual says the oil must be warm, on level ground and to give the oil several minutes to drain back into the oil pan. The problem with that is after you pull the dip stick out it leaves traces of oil in the dip stick tube which makes it impossible to get a good reading. The best I can tell is I get the same reading the next morning.

Ford actually states that the oil should be hot, and drain back to the sump for 20 minutes before checking the level.

Plenty of manufacturers use to suggest similar things in their manuals.
However that way the dipstick is hardly readable on many cars including
my GTI and even impossible to read in case of my Mini Cooper with its
French engine. If manufacturers want me to read oil level hot they need
to design better dipsticks. Hard to compare because dry sump but my 40
year old 3rd car is better in this regard.

Sorry for what may be an obvious answer - I thought I overfilled my oil because the dipstick was wet above the MAX level. The car sat for a couple of days and I just went and checked the dipstick and the oil level is exactly where it should be. Since the engine has not been run is this an accurate reading? Thank you in advance.
Maybe it was on a downward slope when you filled it?

If you are very meticulous and don't like to see any "wet" marks or spots on the dipstick, you have to let the car sit overnight with some cars. Otherwise you can basically tell where the oil looks thicker (i.e. has more volume) on the dipstick even if wet (thin film) above.

When I change oil, I do my quick check to make sure it's near F mark (at least over half way between Add and Full). Drive a block or two and check for leaks and another oil level check ... let it sit overnight and do the final check cuz I don't like too much of wet marks. Sometimes the dipstick is wet like 5-8" :alien:

Ford actually states that the oil should be hot, and drain back to the sump for 20 minutes before checking the level. On the Transits, it does make a difference-if it reads full after sitting cold overnight it will show overfilled when doing it their way. Depending on how good your filter ADBV is, or if you have a chain tensioner leaking, the level will go up after sitting a couple days (my MGM 4.6 does).
That's some big @ss chain tensioners... 😁

Your owners manual should tell you whether to check warm or cold and how long to wait after shutting off the engine if to be checked warm.

Back