Oil level low when checked, possible cause? Pennzoil Platinum 6,200 miles since

I've had additives remain at bottom of Pennzoil bottles after shaking. They are prone to shear and evaporate from crankcase. That was my humble experiences....I'm referring to specifically PUP 5W30.

I’ve experienced oil consumption on multiple different vehicles while using PP and PUP. Consumption is worse with PUP compared to PP, and PUP is supposed to be their top tier oil. I’ve only used 5W-30 PP/PUP, other viscosities might be more stable.

It can be difficult to check for oil consumption standing behind a running engine.

With the engine cold, Put your finger into the end of the exhaust pipe and run it around the top of the pipe. If your finger comes out dry and sooty you are probably burning a little rich (more fuel than needed). If your finger comes out wet and dark (oily) too much oil is getting past the piston rings or valve guide seals.
When I owned an oil burner my tailpipes were dark/black. Before I traded it in the car was going through a quart every 700-1,000 miles. Oil was tracking into the intake too. It was even tracking into the fresh air inlet tube to the throttle body...and the spark plugs were covered in oil when I pulled them.

I’ve experienced oil consumption on multiple different vehicles while using PP and PUP. Consumption is worse with PUP compared to PP, and PUP is supposed to be their top tier oil. I’ve only used 5W-30 PP/PUP, other viscosities might be more stable.
Im just spouting this off and have no basis in fact, and this is strictly opinion. I almost believe that Pennzoil designed these GTL oils to burn off as they are used up. I have noticed that in my truck with a built engine, that I drive aggressively, that I have to put a significant amount of top off oil in. In my suburban, If my wife drives it, it barely uses any oil in a month. When I drive it (with my lead foot or for towing something) it seems like it always uses more oil, even if its just one trip or one weekend with me driving. Same thing with my BMW. if I drive it easy, cruise around, it barely uses any. As soon as we put it on the track, it needs a quart. (I run PP/PUP/PPHM, depending on the vehicle and what i can get and what I'm doing that weekend.)

I have a sneaky suspicion that these oils are designed so that when they shear, they become something with a lower flash point and become a vapor. I honestly feel like that can explain a few things (like how they clean so well, and why your "burning" oil, but don't have a solid black exhaust pipe.) And by burning off the sheared, used up oil, you ensure higher oil pressure, better protection, and probably sell a few extra quarts of oil

none of this would seem to hold any water with me... but I tried mobil one and amsoil signature series, and neither oil seemed to disappear on me. my truck did because its got a really small leak, but I think I put in a quart over 5-6000 miles. With PUP, that would of been at least 2-3 quarts. In fact, with PUP, I'm constantly topping it off so much I actually extend my OCI to 10k.

anyways...thats my conspiracy theory. lol. and even if they didnt design it that way on purpose, seems to me thats just what the oil does. beat it up, and you'll use more.

Last edited:
Im just spouting this off and have no basis in fact, and this is strictly opinion. I almost believe that Pennzoil designed these GTL oils to burn off as they are used up. I have noticed that in my truck with a built engine, that I drive aggressively, that I have to put a significant amount of top off oil in. In my suburban, If my wife drives it, it barely uses any oil in a month. When I drive it (with my lead foot or for towing something) it seems like it always uses more oil, even if its just one trip or one weekend with me driving. Same thing with my BMW. if I drive it easy, cruise around, it barely uses any. As soon as we put it on the track, it needs a quart. (I run PP/PUP/PPHM, depending on the vehicle and what i can get and what I'm doing that weekend.)

I have a sneaky suspicion that these oils are designed so that when they shear, they become something with a lower flash point and become a vapor. I honestly feel like that can explain a few things (like how they clean so well, and why your "burning" oil, but done have a solid black exhaust pipe.) And by burning off the sheared, used up oil, you ensure higher oil pressure, better protection, and probably sell a few extra quarts of oil

none of this would seem to hold any water with me... but I tried mobil one and amsoil signature series, and neither oil seemed to disappear on me. my truck did because its got a really small leak, but I think I put in a quart over 5-6000 miles. With PUP, that would of been at least 2-3 quarts. In fact, with PUP, I'm constantly topping it off so much I actually extend my OCI to 10k.

anyways...thats my conspiracy theory. lol. and even if they didnt design it that way on purpose, seems to me thats just what the oil does. beat it up, and you'll use more.
I think you’re on to something with this. This makes sense with my experience with PP/PUP. For whatever reason the oil consumption happens very abruptly, almost like the oil has been used up for lack of better terms. For instance, there is no consumption all the way up to about 3,000 miles, the dipstick is always at the full mark. But after 3,000 miles or so it seems that the dipstick level just starts dropping dramatically.

I am running some PP 5W-30 API SP right now so it will be interesting to see if the API SP/GF-6 version exhibits the same issue. It’s still too early in this oil change run to know. Currently at 1,500 miles and the dipstick is still at the full mark.

Last edited:
I think you’re on to something with this. This makes sense with my experience with PP/PUP. For whatever reason the oil consumption happens very abruptly, almost like the oil has been used up for lack of better terms. For instance, there is no consumption all the way up to about 3,000 miles, the dipstick is always at the full mark. But after 3,000 miles are so it seems that the dipstick level just starts dropping dramatically.

I am running some PP 5W-30 API SP right now so it will be interesting to see if the API SP/GF-6 version exhibits the same issue. It’s still too early in this oil change run to know. Currently at 1,500 miles and the dipstick is still at the full mark.
That makes sense. probably takes around 3000 miles in your driving style to really start shearing the oil down. They way to know is to send a sample to blackstone every 1000 miles and see if the drop in viscosity times inline with the drop in oil level.

Pennzoil says that their low flash point and the fact they their viscosity comes in at the bottom of the grade are non-issues, but I've seen enough people citing increased oil consumption with PP that I'm not completely convinced.

I think you’re on to something with this. This makes sense with my experience with PP/PUP. For whatever reason the oil consumption happens very abruptly, almost like the oil has been used up for lack of better terms. For instance, there is no consumption all the way up to about 3,000 miles, the dipstick is always at the full mark. But after 3,000 miles or so it seems that the dipstick level just starts dropping dramatically.

I used to have that happen exactly around the 3k mile mark on my is350 but after 5+ oci with PUP/PP and my recent thread about how I stopped burning oil, it could be a low tension ring issue or something else. Im on my 7th or 8th oci with PP and now I go a full 5k without burning/loosing oil anymore.

Pennzoil synthetics are thin and I'm one of the big crowd that has experienced higher than usual consumption with them. Valvoline synthetics are thin as well. I'd check mechanicals as suggested and use any other brand oil next time.

Back