Oil Level Accord 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual in my car says 4.4 quarts. That amount takes the oil to the 1/2 way mark on the dipstick. I know some cars are like that. Should you leave it or take it all the way up?

[ April 18, 2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Are you sure it isnt 4.4qt sump capacity, and then say somewhere to add 0.25 or 0.4 or 0.5 qt if filter is also changed?

My GF's integra and my BMW are both listed that way. The BMW its pretty clearly stated, the integra states 3.7 qts everywhere, and then in one small line in the manual says to add more if the filter is also changed.

Remember, Honda is one of the only companies that lets you change your oil and NOT the filter.

JMH

My Lasaber is like that but their is a TSB for my Lasaber. It appears that GM could not even manage to put the right dipstick on the car! Seeing how GM would charge me to change it out since car is out of warranty I just remarked my dipstick.

Toyota no longer recomends the ever other oil change filter replacement but they used to. To this day the owners manual still list the oil capacity with and without filter change!

Buster, are you sure that the oil is just not so clean that you can not see it on the dipstick? Some companys put knurling on the dipstick for this very reason! I have in the past taken a paper towel and gently worked it down from the top of the dipstick to the full mark to detect the oil because I could not see it in the light!

No I can see the oil and it's 4.4 quarts with the filter. From what I've been reading on the Accord forums it's normal.

24 hours later, the oil was about 65% up the dipstick. I added another 1/4 of quart today and it's slightly below the full line. I think they do that so you don't over fill it. ??
dunno.gif

My stepfather's '90 Accord says that it takes 3.7 quarts. Well, he did an oil change, and it took 4 1/2 quarts to bring it up to the full mark. I wouldn't think the small oil filter would hold that much oil.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The manual in my car says 4.4 quarts. That amount takes the oil to the 1/2 way mark on the dipstick. I know some cars are like that. Should you leave it or take it all the way up?

Buster,
What filter did you use? People on the Acurazine board seem to fill theirs up to the full mark with the 4.4 quarts.

Michael

I used to have a Dodge Caravan 3300 V6 and I currently have a Chrysler T&C 3800 V6. The manual for both call for 4.5 quarts of oil with a filter change. Both engines actually take 5.0 quarts to bring them to full.
dunno.gif

quote:

Buster,
What filter did you use? People on the Acurazine board seem to fill theirs up to the full mark with the 4.4 quarts.

Michael

Puralator. I'm finding none of these 2.4's actually take 4.4 quarts to reach full. Where are you reading that?

Buster,
On the Acurazine forum that I attend, all 3G TLs and the TSX take 4.4-4.5 quarts to fill up. I've not heard of anyone complaining that 4.4 quarts does not fill the engine up to the full mark.

Was your oil filter an oversized version?

Michael

My son has the Accura 2.4 and it takes almost 5 quarts to get it all of the way up. He tells me that it common kknowledge on tha Acura forums (requires more than manusl says) Take 'er up to the full mark
smile.gif

Thanks Al. Finally a guy that gets right to the point.
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif
Manufacturers of vehicles can design a 4 cyl engine to make 175 hp like the Nissan Qr25de but yet they cant make an accurate dipstick to protect that high tech engine.

On my Qr25de in my Nissan X-trail I have to be overfilled 3/8 inch up to the "U" bend above the full mark. I had a 03 Altima with same engine, the reading at full mark on it was right, not the X-Trail.

I know the frustration your dealing with on underfill according to manual Buster, I was actually underfilled when I drained the factory oil down to full mark in panic when I checked the oil after bringing it home brand new.

Engineers can be "dipsticks" IMO.

Good luck,

Cyprs

I just looked at my manual. It states that the oil level should be between the add and full mark, or 1/2 way in other words. It's possible that Honda made it this way bc it's quite common for IffyLube to over fill cars. Happens all the time.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I just looked at my manual. It states that the oil level should be between the add and full mark, or 1/2 way in other words. It's possible that Honda made it this way bc it's quite common for IffyLube to over fill cars. Happens all the time.

Dealers too, apparently. I don't believe we will ever use the local Honda dealer anymore as they routinely overfilled her Civic by 1/2"+ over the top line on the dipstick; although I suppose this could have been another case of the dipstick itself being wrong
dunno.gif
We always had the dealer do the oil changes since it was under warranty.

When I owned my 1996 Honda Accord I would get an odd OCI done at the Honda shop so they could give good inspection of undercarriage on car.

Every time they were 1/4 inch overfill, I would bring it home and drain out the extra cup oil. I confronted them before and after every OCI to put 3.5 litres in as required specifically by my manual, they insisted on 3.75 litres with 1/4" overfill. I stopped going there too, had to loosen drain plug each time, might as well do it myself.

1986 Accord, great car, no garbage on it, inline 4 cylinder, 1 barrel carb, no computer ----, dream car for home matainance or fixing, (seldom needed a wrench to it anyway other than OC.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back