Oil is green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did an oil change on my BMW. The 5 litre jug of Castrol Edge 5w40 was the typical golden color. The 2, 1 litre bottles I bought today of the same Edge 5w40, the oil was a green color. Kinda like the old GC. The back of the bottle says made in the USA. Has anyone else had the same oil color? Is this some new formulation for the 5w40? It almost has the same color as coolant.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Remember the BITOG rules.

Royal Purple dye=gimmicky

Castrol dye=worthy of high regard.

Ha! Well put.

The FF on my MINI was also green. I read that, in factory fills at least, it is from an additive used to improve visibility of leaks.

--Matt

Last edited:
The Edge 5W30 I used last week was just your typical golden color.

I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect the even some of the natural looking "golden" oils are dyes too. I say this because I know that some synthetic oils have very little color to them, almost clear, yet the last Edge I used was real ol' school style golden. Nice and easy to see on the dipstick.
smile.gif

Last edited:
BTW. Talking of green oil, back in about the 1980's I used to use an oil called "Duckhams". It used to be so green I remember thinking it looked more like "Duckpond". Haven't seen that brand for years now.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
the oil was a green color

ItSnot is it?

Sorry I couldn't help myself.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I've read that group 3 base stock is clear as water

I'd believe it. Several of the oils I've used recently have been almost clear. Even the Durablend dx1 that I used over winter was a pale as anything, and that's only a blend. When I fill with those oils it's really hard to see against a shiny dipstick. It's only once I start the engine, and let it tick over for a minute to circulate before rechecking, that the oil picks up a tiny bit of amber color from mixing with the residual oil.

That's why I was surprised to see the Edge pouring out a nice amber color. I haven't seen that in a while.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Remember the BITOG rules.

Royal Purple dye=gimmicky

Castrol dye=worthy of high regard.

Funny and true!! And if red, the Gods have come down and blessed it.

Dye. It's just oil dye. A complex organic molecule. Lasts a while then fades amber/brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back