Oil in HOT climate and blending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure thing - but one thing that was prevalent here (back when) was the better synthetic lubes abilities to rock on at temperature extremes - now it seems like $2/jug less is the “factor” on this site …
Yeah, of course synthetics are better suited for use conditions where the oil might run hotter.

But my comment point above was because some people believe that the oil will run at the same temperature as the ambient temperature increases (all other factors being constant) just because the engine is water cooled - I see it mentioned often in various threads. I'm just pointing out that's typically not the case. Too bad not every car has an oil temperature read-out, they should IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, of course synthetics are better suited for use conditions where the oil might run hotter.

But my comment point above was because some people believe that the oil will run at the same temperature as the ambient temperature increases just because the engine is water cooled - I see it mentioned often in various threads. I'm just pointing out that's typically not the case. Too bad not every car has an oil temperature read-out, they should IMO.
The other point is … that me as a temp watcher (especially in 4WD) … my system might get that coolant settled down … but there is always a lag before and after on oil temps. (and smaller cooler)

That being said, the next oil change is coming up and I have 3.5 quarts of 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Syn on the shelf left over. The capacity on Genesis is 7 1/8 quarts. I want to use the remaining 3.5 qts of 5w30, then add another 3.5qts of 10w30. Or do you recommend to just go with 5w30 all in for the upcoming change and switch to the 10w30 the following time?
Shouldn't matter if mixing 5W-30 and 10W-30 this time. If It was mine I'd run 5W-30 all the time after that if it's calling out (recommending) 5W-20. If your confident 10W won't matter on the cold side, then that's OK too, but you might have more oil options in 5W-30.

Shouldn't matter if mixing 5W-30 and 10W-30 this time. If It was mine I'd run 5W-30 all the time after that if it's calling out (recommending) 5W-20. If your confident 10W won't matter on the cold side, then that's OK too, but you might have more oil options in 5W-30.
Yeah - mixing oils due to extreme temps is IMO just Voodoo anyway … Pick one from the big names and don’t mix to just keep up your Project Farm Platinum level 😷

Yeah - mixing oils due to extreme temps is IMO just Voodoo anyway … Pick one from the big names and don’t mix to just keep up your Project Farm Platinum level 😷
He just wants to use up what he has (asking if it's OK), then go with one or the other after that. Better to mix the two one time and then pick one or the other for the next OCI, or use it in something else or give it away, or recycle it (last resort). I don't believe in mixing oils otherwise.

Fair enough … Pretty much academic at this stage

F90C4B7C-B145-48E7-83F4-E047D9531376.jpg

I'm in Southern Nevada which is a bit hotter than Scottsdale. I'll typically run 5w30 in vehicles that come w 0w20 but can run 5w30 as an alternative. Good 5w30s tend to be more easily found at walmart and I feel more comfortable running a tad bit thicker oil for the hot temps as you described. In the same vein I have no problems running it year round as winter isn't really winter here and I've run 5w30 when I lived in Illinois previously.

My personal oil of choice is now Valvoline EP 5w30 after seeing some of the reports here. I've been impressed w the UOA and so far during the summer I've experienced zero burn off. That is counter to what I've experienced with M1 and to a lesser extent Pennzoil.

I'm in Southern Nevada which is a bit hotter than Scottsdale. I'll typically run 5w30 in vehicles that come w 0w20 but can run 5w30 as an alternative. Good 5w30s tend to be more easily found at walmart and I feel more comfortable running a tad bit thicker oil for the hot temps as you described. In the same vein I have no problems running it year round as winter isn't really winter here and I've run 5w30 when I lived in Illinois previously.

My personal oil of choice is now Valvoline EP 5w30 after seeing some of the reports here. I've been impressed w the UOA and so far during the summer I've experienced zero burn off. That is counter to what I've experienced with M1 and to a lesser extent Pennzoil.
So you've promoted Valvoline in just about every post you've made since you joined, seems like a special point you're trying to make?

Also you do realize that a UOA tells little about how an oil performs, riight?

So you've promoted Valvoline in just about every post you've made since you joined, seems like a special point you're trying to make?

Also you do realize that a UOA tells little about how an oil performs, riight?
So what is your point other than sniping from the sidelines as you have done to me and others previously? What is it that you're actually providing except entertaining yourself by tolling others who are on the subject matter that the original poster stated? I'm stating what I'm using for oil, apparently you don't like that and frankly I don't care.

Do you feel better about yourself now that you've done your part to try and derail another thread with your self perceived witty antics? Maybe you should try being less of a cyber thug, and actually stick to the subject matter at hand?

Last edited:
Folks use the ignore button if you don't like another members posting.

Nowhere is it promised you will like every post.

Closing this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back