Oil for Wisconsin TR10D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a got a 1965 Bolens 1000 with a Wisconsin TR10D cast iron monster. I changed the oil with SAE 30 and a splash of MMO and after about 10 hours run time it's black as coal. It smokes a bit out the breather and exhaust but the spark plug is a perfect tan with no oil on it. Would 15W40 be ok? This thing gets super hot. Thanks.

The cast iron monsters must always run at the full governed RPM when working so the fan blows enough air. You can take the temper out of the rings and that sounds like what has happened to this one.

You probably need to replace rings.

Rod

Old large displacement single cylinder flat heads like this do run rich and hot. For those reasons, I like standard low cost 15w40 HDEO for them. The Kohler-K in my Case/Ingersoll 222 would cook my feet given the way the engine fan blew air across the hot engine and at at the operator.

I've often heard the "need to run at max governed speed for cooling purposes" recommendation, but personally don't typically follow that. Lighter throttle doesn't heat the engine up nearly as much- provided your engine can draw outside air properly. They consume lots of fuel at max speed as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
My 20 HP B&S twin in my JD L11 manual states in BOLD to run engine a full throttle to prevent over heating, so I do it. Ed

Not sure if your JD is hydrostatic drive, but I've never seen a hydrostatic drive equipped mower not say this.

I got new rings ordered. Had a 1/4"+ ring gap. Should be back together next week.

For everyone who's interested I got the new rings in. Breaking them in on SAE 30. What's the thought on running synthetic oil in a 51 year old engine? I'm thinking about T6 for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back