Oil for Small Block Chevy Airboat

Another vote for your pick of HDEO. Personally prefer Mobil Delvac.
I'm wondering if maybe the builder slipped a big block pump in there.

Actually, I would be OK with that. But put me down for trying the VR1 10w30.
I'm unsure of the pump I'll pull the pan soon and check it out just to get some peace of mind. I called Valvoline the guy there said the 10w30 and 20w50 are the same base oil and he's heard of a ton of people mixing them to get a 15w40 or somewhere close. While he can't say it's recommended from Valvoline he doesn't think there's any issues with it. He actually said call back and tell him what my optimal ratio is.
I would prefer to run the Vr1 for the anti foaming. The SBC strokers can aerate the oil and cause other problems and my motor lives at 3-6,000 rpms.

IMO a HDEO 15w-50 or 20w-50 is the appropriate oil for your use.
Although 80 PSI oil pressure isn't really anything to worry about, when you pull the pan you can replace the oil pressure relief bypass valve spring with a lower value.
Also, when you remove the oil pan you might want to consider installing a windage tray. This will reduce/eliminate the oil foaming as well as giving you a few more WOT HP.

Last edited:
IMO a HDEO 15w-50 or 20w-50 is the appropriate oil for your use.
Although 80 PSI oil pressure isn't really anything to worry about, when you pull the pan you can replace the oil pressure relief bypass valve spring with a lower value.
Also, when you remove the oil pan you might want to consider installing a windage tray. This will reduce/eliminate the oil foaming as well as giving you a few more WOT HP.
Yep I'm going to put on this. It should help a lot. I heard that normal trays cant handle the longer stroke of the 383. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/chp-cp50lt

I'm unsure of the pump I'll pull the pan soon and check it out just to get some peace of mind. I called Valvoline the guy there said the 10w30 and 20w50 are the same base oil and he's heard of a ton of people mixing them to get a 15w40 or somewhere close. While he can't say it's recommended from Valvoline he doesn't think there's any issues with it. He actually said call back and tell him what my optimal ratio is.
I would prefer to run the Vr1 for the anti foaming. The SBC strokers can aerate the oil and cause other problems and my motor lives at 3-6,000 rpms.
If you have decent oil pressure don’t bother. May set yourself up for a leak. A 327 - 375HP would rev like a banshee with a stock pump. I’m of the belief that excessive oil pressure allows the bypass to dump oil back into the pan without being filtered if it has a stock oil filter adapter. A deeper pan would help at those RPMs but still you’ll get by otherwise.

Last edited:
For those of you that care i pulled the pan today. It's a melling high volume, high pressure pump. So that's why my oil pressure is through the roof

Final comment for people that might search this later. I ordered a high volume standard pressure pump, I know I can just replace the spring but I want the $50 assurance. I also got a champ pans cp50lt. It's a 7 quart pan with a trap door, scraper and windage tray. I wanted a bigger oil pan and while it's apart might as well. After my research I think this is the best pan for a SBC for the money. I couldn't find anything with the same amount of features for the price.
With the reduced pressure I'm planning to run the VR1 20w-50 oil.

Back