Oil for New Triumph Parallel Twin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey just got my new 2011 Speedmaster home and looking through the manual it says to use only semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil in it, either 10w40 or 10w50. Factory fill is Castrol 10w50 synthetic. Anyone out there got one of these 865cc motors, and what have you run and had luck with?

speedmastermine.jpg

Last edited:
Always, always, always use what the manufacturer recommends while you're still under warranty. After the warranty period expires, use whatever you want.

BTW, that's a gorgeous bike!
banana2.gif

Last edited:
I use Mobil 1 15w50 in my 08 865cc twin (same 270 degree mill as yours) Triumph Scrambler-runs cool,shifts like butta....approx. $20 for a jug at Wally World..OCI under 2
K and filter every 4K. I use this in all my bikes except my CB750K.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 15W-50 for me. In the 5-quart jug at Wally World. My OCI's are 3k - 4k. If i'm running a lot in cool weather then it's Rotella 5W-40.
05_Speedmaster.jpg

Last edited:
Boy the new Triumphs sure are gorgeous machines. As soon as my Electra Glide is paid off I'm scoring a new Bonneville T100.

Think I'd go with the M1 15W-50. Good oil with a good track record in air-cooled engines.

I've got a 2009 T100. In 2009 the recommendation was 10W-40 or 15W-50. Interesting that they changed to a 10W-50.

I'm using Maxima Maxum4 Extra 15W-50 this OCI. The Maxima oils have a good reputation and it shifts well with it.

I'd go to the Amsoil site and look at their white paper on motorcycle oils and pick oil brands and lines that did well in both of the viscosity ranges they tested. Try a few of these and stick with the one that gives the best shift feel in your bike.

Ed

Victory calls for 20W-40 as do some Kawasakis. I wonder of the odd weights are so the gullible owner buys oil from the dealer.

10W-50 and 20W-40 are very hard to find outside the boutique oil brands.

Thanks. I cant seem to find M1 15w50 around here anymore. I may wait for O reillys or another parts store to do a oil change special on M1 and stock up.

Actually it doesnt call specifically for it. It just says syn blend, or full synthetic 10w40 or 10w50 with a JASO MA rating "such as" Castrol Power RS Racing 4T. It does not require that brand and line.

It's the only Castrol Synthetic 10w50. Any 50 weights will work fine. Triumph used Mobil 50 weight for years, just switched to Castrol a year ago. Just make sure you use dyno of semi synthetic for the first 500 miles minimum.

Originally Posted By: Jim750Li
It's the only Castrol Synthetic 10w50. Any 50 weights will work fine. Triumph used Mobil 50 weight for years, just switched to Castrol a year ago. Just make sure you use dyno of semi synthetic for the first 500 miles minimum.

I already have 1000 miles on it. Had it serviced at 500, since they did it for free at the dealership.

Beautiful Bike. Probably a good thing there is'nt a Triumph dealer near me. The next dilema would be which one; Speed triple, scramber, thruxton, bonneville......

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Always, always, always use what the manufacturer recommends while you're still under warranty. After the warranty period expires, use whatever you want.

BTW, that's a gorgeous bike!
banana2.gif

You need to get a copy of the Magnuson Moss act and read it. It is against the law for ANY manufacturer to require you to use their product to keep your warranty in affect. As long as you follow the recommended service intervals and use a product equal to what they are recommending, you are good. I know. I was a parts and service director for Ford dealerships most of my life.

Triumph just partnered with Castrol, so now they are pushing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back