Oil for my winter beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, looks like I am picking up a winter car this week for $`1300.

It's an early 90's Maxima with a VG30de engine to supplement my Infinti Q45.
Since I am an Admin on a large nissaninfiniticlub,
wink.gif
my winter beater HAD to be a Nissan Corp car.

This Maxima still looks pretty decent and if I crash it, its not the end of the world.

Pretty car still despite it's 270,000 miles.
It would be worth much less if it didt still look so presentable, but I digress..

What oil should my winter beater get.

GC Castrol overkill for a car with 270k? despite it being one of the very best winter oils out there.

Hmm, I think I will likely go for Valvoline Durablend 5w-30, any other suggestions and why?
(Cant promise I will follow them)..
wink.gif

Fred..
smile.gif

palmerwmd,

Yes, I think GC is overkill, not so much because of the miles, but because you have designated this a "winter beater."

Do you know what was in it before? If so, and you like the way the engine sounds and runs, stick with that if it is the right weight; otherwise, I would say go with Chevron Supreme 5W30, especially if you can get it on sale. I think Chevron makes a dependable product.

[ October 14, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

The trickle down system sounds OK. OR: If there are any Big Lots stores near you, see if they have any of that Havoline Synthetic(5w30, 5w40) left at $2/qt. That's cheaper than I can buy Valvoline Durablend here.

How cold does it get?
If the engine is mechanically sound I think you're better off spending 3 or 4 bucks on the cheapest 5W-30 available than using used oil. However, if it's already burning a lot of oil (like a quart per week) I'd say that's a good option!

[ October 14, 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

The VG30E engine in my Pathfinder has always had valve clatter at startup no matter what oil or filter I used. Flip side is it has always started easily even when it was -25F with a 50/50 mix of M1 5w-30 and 15w-50. Heavier oil than I should have used I know.

Right now it has Penzoil HM 5w-30 in it and it will stay in it all winter...

My Nissan seens to like Pennzoil Multigrade 10w30 and 5w30. The 5w30 seems great for winter with a pour point of -44f. Use Nissan oil filter, and forget about it for the winter.....

quote:

Originally posted by harper:
The perfect oil is Valveoline Maxlife....why? Its free and your car could die tommorrow or three years from now......

Link from another poster in Off Topic
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/rebates/rebate_details.asp?rebateid=9&coaid=F3719841B83

thanks for the link harper. I used to be a big valvoline maxlife user for almost three years until I found this site. since it's free, I may go back and use it. I used to do their ten dollar rebate when you bought a case of maxlife. I wonder if the info is coming out that valvoline oils are not top quality and they have to resort to giving oil away to get people interested again.

I just printed out my rebate form. I used to use Max Life a few years ago and liked it. I might have to give it a tryu again for free.

How about German Coastal. I hear its then next greatest thing. Made with plum esters for great cold starts!

In all seriousness, I'd do an AutoRX treatment for the high mileage, put and over sized filter on it and run any old 5w-40 group III oil. With those miles, the engine is probably pretty loose, even with perfect maintenance. And the 5w will give decent cold starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back