Oil for my OHV engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Sdfx - From the Caltex-Chevron prototype Workshop I ran In Copenhagen in the 1960s we serviced a Fleet of Hire Caddies. These ran all over Europe on hire to US Service people. We ran 10W-30 in these and the cars were virtually trouble free over very long
distances

With SAABs many problems occurred when they introduced the V4. Underneath, and because of the drain plug locations many gearboxes were drained in error and the engine overfilled with engine oil! This was quite common initially especially those familiar with the two-stroke version!

That said, the Ford V4 engine loved 10W-30 too

I would run a good quality 10W-30 in both engines - I speak with experience

Hello again

I got answer from Mobil 1, and they recommended Mobil 1 0W-40 fully synthetic oil, or 10W-40 semi synth for cadillac. They recommended that same 10W-40 for Saab..

Maybe I should get some 10W-30 oi like Doug Hilary recommended. First oil which would come into my mind is Delvac. We have Mobil Delvac 1400 Super oil here in Finland. Would that oil do the job in my old engines?

Regards, Sdfx

Originally Posted By: Sdfx
Do you have this oil in US or are here any members from europe who can confirm that this oil is good for me?

We don't have All Climate up here at least. It is unfortunate that they want so much for VR1 and in less than ideal viscosities. Oddly enough, a Walmart here sells VR1 for less than "normal" conventional, but it's only a 20w-50, too!

I'd follow Doug Hillary's recommendation. He would also have more knowledge about the European product lines in that regard. Here, we have Delvac 1300 Super in a 10w-30, plus a lot of 10w-30 PCMOs still on the shelves.

We don't have Delvac 1300 here. Or we have, but it's always 13X0 where X is the grade of oil. If grade is SAE 30, code would be Super 1330. If SAE 40, then Super 1340...Those are all mono grade oils.

Super 1400 is multigrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back