Oil for dirty 2003 VW Jetta 2.0 with 86k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used 2003 VW Jetta 2.0L (V4, naturally aspirated) with 86k miles. The previous owner appears to have been the type of person to change the oil semi-regularly but at oil change garages at the lowest cost possible or with a coupon.

The engine seems dirty under the oil filling cap. Might be sludge. The car has been mostly used for highway miles, but with longer periods of sitting unused.

I haven't had the car for very long, but it may be consuming oil. I haven't seen any leaks, but the oil level has dropped since I first looked at the car and when I bought it a week later. But I haven't noticed any blue smoke from the exhaust.

The manual specifies using a 5W-30 oil meeting VW 502 00 specs and changing the oil every 5k miles.

My questions:
- what synthetic oil should I use regularly?
- is any particular oil recommended for cleaning a dirty engine?

I live in Michigan and am a student. During the week, the car wouldn't get much use, and some errands on the weekend of 10-15 miles. Every month or two, might go on a 300-600 mile trip at extended periods of highway speeds of 70-80mph. The oil also needs to be able to handle cold winter weather.

I prefer synthetic oil. I've used Mobil 1 with cars in the past, but only with cars that I had bought new and maintained very well. I see people here also mention the German-made Castol Edge SPT (the 5W-40 is VW 502 00 rated) and Pennzoil Ultra (the Euro 5W-40 is VW 502 00 rated).

What oil would clean the sludge the best? And what synthetic oil should I use on a long-term basis?

Lastly, does anyone have any opinion on Ravenol brand, manufactured in Germany? The Ravenol synthetic VMO 5W-40 is also VW 502 00 rated. The specs say it's PAO-based, low SAPS. Spec sheet here:
Ravenol VMO webpage

Thank you!

Last edited:
not sure if it meets the specs, but I would run PYB for 2,500 to 3,000 miles a few times and see if it cleans it up. PYB is one of the most affordable oils that has a LOT of detergents that should clean as well as a fancy synthetic.

M1 has a high milage oil that should help clean it up and may also help address the oil usage. And like Barkley wrote, if it is cleaning out sludge, you don't want the first few OCI's to be too long.

welcome2.gif

This engine requires 5W-40 synthetic. But I wouldn't waste your money using it on a 03 with 86,000 miles. This 2.slow is a known oil burner. I would check the oil level every 2 weeks or so. My brother has pretty much slowed his oil consumption in his 01 2.slow to less then a 1/2 quart in 5K. He uses Castrol High Mileage 10W-40. It's the thickest 40 weight on the market. He lives in California, so it will probably be to thick for Michigan winters.

Since the vehicle is out of wsrranty the use ofa high ester based oil like redline 0w40 or motul 5w40 have great hths to help prevent oil consumption and the ester base stocks will clean the engine.

Jeff

Last edited:
M1 0w-40 or PU 5w-40 are the two oils I recommend. Changed at sane intervals they should slowly clean it up.

Have a 2.Slo and have been using a 50/50 mix of Nextgen 5w-30/10w-40. Basically shooting for something close to the properties of a heavy 30 / light 40 similar to the Castrol GC the engine was probably designed to use. I wouldn't use this in the 1.8t as this is not a GC replacement by any means, but would be adequate for a 2.Slo out of warranty.

I do believe there are other oils that will likely clean better than the Valvoline products. For cleaning, you may want to try 4qt 20w-50 and 1qt MMO. It would maintain a heavy 30 viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Barry01
The manual specifies using a 5W-30 oil meeting VW 502 00 specs and changing the oil every 5k miles.

The specified Ravenol would be fine, I'm sure. The only concern I would have in your shoes would be cost and availability. The PYB suggestion might work, but I'd exhibit caution when venturing off the reservation, as it were, given that it has its own specifications. If I were to use something like a PYB in such a vehicle (possible, but doubtful), I'd keep the OCIs much shorter than 5,000 miles to be on the safe side. Using a non-specified 5w-30 is probably what got the engine into this pickle in the first place. VW should have their heads examined for specifying a 5w-30 in North America, even with the mention of 502, since we, collectively, are idiots that will grab the cheapest 5w-30 off the shelf. There are few speced 5w-30 oils readily available. The only one I can think of off the top of my head might be some Castrol OE stuff, available mostly at the dealer.

Stick to something like M1 0w-40, the PU mentioned, or even German Castrol 0w-30. If you want to venture out of spec, don't stray too far. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 would be a good choice, but I bet in the States that you will be able to get the correct, specified lube, such as the M1 0w-40, at a very reasonable price.

Shell Rotella T6 5w40 and take it for a nice long highway drive before and after changing the oil. Sounds like you don't necessarily know if it is sludged or not (and the 2.slow isn't a known sludger, but definitely a burner) so I wouldn't bother with any expensive oils until you have that figured out.

More importantly, does yours have the fairly bulletproof 02J 5-speed manual or the fail-o-matic 01M four speed autotragic?

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Sounds like you don't necessarily know if it is sludged or not (and the 2.slow isn't a known sludger, but definitely a burner) so I wouldn't bother with any expensive oils until you have that figured out.

I don't know much about sludge. How can I tell other than by taking apart the engine?

Originally Posted By: scurvy
More importantly, does yours have the fairly bulletproof 02J 5-speed manual or the fail-o-matic 01M four speed autotragic?

Manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: Barry01
I don't know much about sludge. How can I tell other than by taking apart the engine?

Cut apart an oil filter and look for gooey junk inside.

But if the car runs well, I wouldn't bother. The 2.slow isn't known for sludge. Change the fluids & filters and motor on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back