Oil for a VERY old Engine

Well, if answering for my engine(s) is I believe what you asked.. the Infiniti takes an API SH and the Subaru an API SL

Most non-Euro engines are fine on whatever the current API spec is. Oils have gotten better, not worse.

What approval, specification or API license does your engine require?

I also wasn't asking for my cars.. I run any fully-formulated motor oil in my favorite color jugs, usually blue (Supertech) Green (Quaker State) or Black (Castrol) however.. Thank you.

If you want to choose a synthetic, Mobil 1, 15W-50 is about as robust as oils come. Flows well in extremely cold conditions too. Considerably better than conventional 20W-50.

However, today's 5W-40 synthetic diesel oils are stellar. Rotella T6 or Mobil Delvac are oils that lend themselves very well to the needs of older engines, and will provide superb protection.

today’s oils have come really far, back then they even recommended additives in the gasoline

FA020E97-2295-4648-A537-FE9E7C32BD2B.jpeg

BF9FBDBB-1878-417A-A842-54BC826ECB30.jpeg

4DC2F931-4B37-4EE0-9F68-754E64F02AAC.jpeg

I love how even in 1950 OEM's were warning against the use of wizards in the oil :ROFLMAO:
21028"]

They even had leaded gasoline back then.

I had customers used to say, "Fill it up, regular unleaded." I was like....

Since the operating temps never get below 25F, I say stick with the 20w50. Sounds like there haven't been any issues since the rebuild, so keep doing whatever is working.

Back