Oil for a VERY old Engine

Hi All,

So, someone I know owns a Classic Series 1 Land Rover. It's 67 years old and has a 2l petrol engine in it. He usually just used Castrol Classic oil 20w50.

I thought with the huge wealth of knowledge on here that it'd be interesting to ask what everyone would recommend. Any knowledge of requirements etc would be great. It's difficult with old engines as the recommended oil is about 70 years out of date!

The engine was re-built around 17 years ago and has probably only done about 20k miles since then.

*edit* - The vehicle is used all year round, sometime in -2/3c (26f) temps in snow etc and in summer around 25/26c (78f).

Cheers :)

Last edited:
For the warmer times I'd stick with 20w50, and for colder drop it to 5w40/10w40. Or just switch to 5w50 full time. That would be my starting point, and from there just listen to the engine, read gauges, and measure oil consumption to pick the best grade.

Either 20W50 or a 15W40 mixed-fleet HDEO (suitable for diesel and petrol engines)
That’s what I would recommend. I hesitate to recommend specific brands since I suspect that your friend is also in the UK and I’m not familiar with your market.

70 years old? Not that old, then...any modern multi grade would be a huge step up from what was discussed in his service manual, but at least by 1953, oil viscosity was standardized, so numbers were being used.

In 1932, oil was still being characterized by terms like, “medium heavy cylinder oil” with a 500 mile oil change interval. 250 miles in cold weather. A bit of kerosene to be added if the temperature drops before the next oil change...

i’d try 15w40.

a guy i used to wheel with had a series 3 pickup with the gas 4 cylinder and just used rotella. that truck was from australia, probably rolled 3 or 4 times so it was really tired. still ran great till he upgraded to an iron duke

In keeping with the era of the design I would be inclined to use a straight 30 weight HD conventional oil.

I suppose I'll be the first to ask..

Does it need anything ZDDP?

Or is it not needed in that engine. (Age/design is why that came to mind.)

^ Other than that.. Maybe a 5W-40 and call it a day, 26 degrees F that's not that cold, that is what it was last night, at least Boston you can go outside and it can be 2. Or 4. Or maybe colder than that but even then, a 5 should be.. fine.

If it even needs a 40...

Thanks for all the answers guys. Seems as though the vast majority are in favor of 20w50 so it seems best he sticks to that.

Back