Oil for a honda civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 civic dx, 137,000 miles.

1. I was told that I will run into problems if a switch from conventional to synthetic at this mileage, is that true? The car has a history with conventional oil, and currently with synthetic blend. (valvoline)

2. Is it true that a person shouldn't switch oil due to "metal memory?" I always thought this was nonsense.

3. As for oil, what brand should I use? A friend of mine swears by valvoline synthetic blend for some reason, but I used to use castrol in my previous civic and it worked great. My car doesn't like super tech conventional. It seems like a cheap oil to me, am I wrong? It thins out quickly and doesn't feel like it's protecting/reducing friction. (it could be my imagination)

Last edited:
1. Total B S.

2. Nonsense.

3. IF the car is consuming some oil, Maxlife Blend 5w-30 is awesome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cleft_Asunder
But is it true that some engines like certain oil and perform poorly with others?

Yes, absolutely. It's a matter of 'taste'. My car hated ST too.

Thanks. I guess I will just experiment. I have used valvoline max life in the past with good results, but I want to try castrol again, this time their synthetic blend.

Though I am curious, do you recommend synthetic?

Thanks. I guess I will just experiment. I have used valvoline max life in the past with good results, but I want to try castrol again, this time their synthetic blend.

Though I am curious, do you recommend synthetic?

Yep,especially for your climate.

1997 civic dx, 137,000 miles.

1. I was told that I will run into problems if a switch from conventional to synthetic at this mileage,
2. Is it true that a person shouldn't switch oil due to "metal memory?"
3. My car doesn't like super tech conventional.
Whenever someone says "you shouldn't, because" I always ask why not? what will happen" If they say "i heard" Then i ask "prove it" or "show me where it says" . I have one guy at work that says you should never use 15w40 on a car because it's too thick and is not OIL PUMP RATED for that engine! and if i do use it,the engine will only last around 100,000 miles.Where does it say that i ask him,and of course no answer,but it will happen.Some people are just too dang !@#$

1. Not true
2. Not true
3. The cheapest conventional you can find. When you say your car doesn't like supertech conventional, what do you mean by that?

I had a 2000 honda Civic with 100,000 and made the switch to AMSOIL 5W-30 Motor Oil (ASL).

Andy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sxg6

1. Not true
2. Not true
3. The cheapest conventional you can find. When you say your car doesn't like supertech conventional, what do you mean by that?

Well, I just drained the supertech 5w-30 after being in my car 2700 miles. During this 2700 miles I've added more supertech to compensate for burn. (probably no more than 1/2 to 3/4ths quart additional) The oil is black and thin, and I've never experienced that so quickly before with a name brand oil like valvoline or castrol.

I normally change my oil at 3000-3750 miles. (The honda manual says 3750) Regardless, the reason I changed my oil at 2700 miles is because I have been experiencing power loss since switching to supertech.* I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but after I drive around a bit with the castrol conventional oil (which I know civics like) I will post an update.

*Yes I have checked ignition system, alternator, fuel delivery, et cetera.

JMO, but I'd use PYB or Mobil Clean in that car. Really any decent dino oil would suit you fine and then you don't need to worry about synthetic. I'm sure someone here could recommend a syn blend if that is what you'd like to use as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back