Oil for a 6.6l gas Chevy 2500HD

Hello,
I’m torn between Mobile 1 100% syn. and Castroil Edge SAE 5W-30. I’m sure they are both great oils but what is y’all’s opinion on the two. I will be pulling a travel trailer that weighs about 8000 pounds some of the time. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it’s all up to personal brand preferences. As long as it is Dexos 1, Gen 2 with a 5w30 grade, you can do no wrong. :) For those who haven’t seen the owners manual of a 2021 Chev 2500, here it is.

0689AA80-F570-40D2-BC4D-47CA76F15322.jpg

Mine has Pennzoil platinum 5W30 in it right now and will get Rotella gas truck next time. As long as its D1Gen2 in 5W30 youre all set.

Quaker State in mine and it seems happy. D1G2 in whatever brand you choose, it's your truck not ours.

If you haven't greased the 9 fittings on the steering you might want to check them out. It seems GM doesn't put much in.
Thanks, I have only had the truck for 1 month 1,800 miles. I will grease it on my first oil change.

Here's a thread with a link about the fittings from our fearless leader. I had a heck of a time getting the coupler on the first couple of zerks so I got a piece of emery cloth and gave the rest a quick polish and it helped.

Quaker State in mine and it seems happy. D1G2 in whatever brand you choose, it's your truck not ours.

If you haven't greased the 9 fittings on the steering you might want to check them out. It seems GM doesn't put much in.
What kind of grease did you use in yours?

Here's a thread with a link about the fittings from our fearless leader. I had a heck of a time getting the coupler on the first couple of zerks so I got a piece of emery cloth and gave the rest a quick polish and it helped.
Good post. By the way, the older 3/4 ton Chev’s say 2008, have 11 fittings. They had two more, which are two inner tie rod ends. Eleven.... that’s one more than 10.
( from Spinal Tap).

What kind of grease did you use in yours?
Jeff needs to reply but I’ll jump in and say I use synthetic grease made by Citgo and marketed as Mystic JT-6 High Temp Synthetic grease in the USA.
There are hundreds of other options. I have over 210,000 miles on all the steering and suspension components except the outer tie rod ends which were replaced at 190,000 miles.

Last edited:
Yes, it’s all up to personal brand preferences. As long as it is Dexos 1, Gen 2 with a 5w30 grade, you can do no wrong. :) For those who haven’t seen the owners manual of a 2021 Chev 2500, here it is.

View attachment 63322
I'll go along with the 0W30 in super cold weather recommendation after seeing zero oil pressure in a 2017 6.0L 2500 GMC one winter morning in Hinton, Alberta. How about 10W30 in hot weather? What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Thanks, I have only had the truck for 1 month 1,800 miles. I will grease it on my first oil change.
Like many previous years theres a couple of fittings on the pitman arm and idler that benefit from a 90 degree fitting rather than the straight one. Makes future grease jobs much easier.

Back