Oil for 5.0L Coyote 5w-30 vs. 5w-20

They also added cylinder de-activation in 2021, so it might also have to do with that. My 2019 5.0 used oil, but I don't think it was because of the 5W20. It was leaking into the cylinders through the head, so that points to something faulty in the heads.
Yours may have had a fault but I have never seen that. Only engine I saw that blew blue smoke on cold start was the 2.7 ecoboost from people not changing oil.

Yours may have had a fault but I have never seen that. Only engine I saw that blew blue smoke on cold start was the 2.7 ecoboost from people not changing oil.
I never saw smoke, but it used anywhere from 2-4 qts. They replaced the engine at 15K miles and this one has been good. Uses maybe 1/2 qt in 5000. I may switch to 5W30, but was a little worried about warranty.

It was several things. We used to replace dipstick as a TSB. Stick had a longer range. As technicians we were told by the engineers it was mainly for the oil consumption issue. GM has the displacement of demand and active fuel management using 0w20 so it has nothing to do with that. I personally wouldn’t run 0w or 5w20 in anything that recommends it. Look at all the timing chain issues in the old 5.4 liter too!
That dipstick TSB also had a PCM flash that went along with it. Supposedly they left the throttle open a little on decel to keep from getting a high vacuum condition that could pull oil up through the PCV system. It didn't help my truck though.

You're on a newer generation Coyote than me, but in my 2014 I ran 5w-20 for ~105,000 miles. No oil consumption issues, but I have always encountered a 'tick' from the motor (I purchased it with 8 miles on the odometer). Some 5w-20 oil/filter seem 'quieter' than others, but they all do it to some extent.

I've read the Coyote oil threads for years about this debate, and figured I'd do my own testing. I recently decided to give Amsoil SS 5w30 a try since we're basically starting our summer season here in Texas. It seems noticeably quieter than any 5w20 oil I'd tried previously.

Again, different generations, but figured I would share.

I wouldn't go drain 5w30 out of that motor though.

You're on a newer generation Coyote than me, but in my 2014 I ran 5w-20 for ~105,000 miles. No oil consumption issues, but I have always encountered a 'tick' from the motor (I purchased it with 8 miles on the odometer). Some 5w-20 oil/filter seem 'quieter' than others, but they all do it to some extent.

I've read the Coyote oil threads for years about this debate, and figured I'd do my own testing. I recently decided to give Amsoil SS 5w30 a try since we're basically starting our summer season here in Texas. It seems noticeably quieter than any 5w20 oil I'd tried previously.

Again, different generations, but figured I would share.

I wouldn't go drain 5w30 out of that motor though.
They changed quite a lot in 2018. Different cylinder material, increased compression, port and direct injection, etc. This seems to be when the problems started. Mine has been pretty good since I got the engine replaced,

I've had my 5.0 for three years now and have used 5w30 since I got it. The manual says to use 5w20, dump it for 5w30 for a track day and switch back to 5w20. Seriously?!? Check out the UOAs I've posted. Nothing wrong at all with using 5w30.

I've had my 5.0 for three years now and have used 5w30 since I got it. The manual says to use 5w20, dump it for 5w30 for a track day and switch back to 5w20. Seriously?!? Check out the UOAs I've posted. Nothing wrong at all with using 5w30.
That’s the best thing to use in the coyote. Track or not. I could also tell who used the motorcraft 5w30 and went by the oil life monitor when I would pull them apart to do cam phasers. The cams and front cover was varnished up.

That’s the best thing to use in the coyote. Track or not. I could also tell who used the motorcraft 5w30 and went by the oil life monitor when I would pull them apart to do cam phasers. The cams and front cover was varnished up.

I tried Motorcraft oil in our 96'Crown Victoria years ago and it burned off faster than any other oil I've ever used,never used it again.

Back