Oil for 3.5 Ecoboost ?

I know of a 2.7 Ecoboost that went 465,000 miles on a steady diet of Motorcraft synthetic blend and a 10K oil change interval. He got rid of it because the transmission was failing. Motorcraft blend is good oil.

OP: Who told you MCSB is sub-par oil? That is complete and utter nonsense. As others stated, only thing wrong with it is the price currently. For a DIY oil change, too many products are better priced, so it can't compete. Literally the ONLY thing wrong with it.

Nothing wrong at all with the Motorcraft Blend. In years past, it was actually a board favorite. Really the main reason is fallen out of favor is its pricing tends to be higher than comparable products. No more, no less...

Currently running Castrol Magnatec (and will need to transition) 5w30 in my 2016 F150 with the 2.7. I go out to 30% oil life remaining on the monitor, and then work on replacement. Works out to about 7000 - 7500 mile oil changes.
Yes and finding it is not as easy as some other brands. I've have never seen Motor craft on sale and have never seen it offered with a rebate!

If we’re talking a 5w30 synthetic for 5,000 mile intervals, I’d go with whatever is on sale or rebate. You can’t really go wrong with that. Right now I believe Pennzoil is running a rebate and Mobil1 is too. And when you can’t find rebates I used to find that Super Tech was a bargain (but nit really anymore).

I turned in a slip for Pennzoil six weeks ago and haven't heard anything back, seems a little strange

I turned in a slip for Pennzoil six weeks ago and haven't heard anything back, seems a little strange
Really? I haven’t had any problems with pennzoil...but I have heard others have. I’ve had a few delays with Mobil1 though. And Valvoline was a waste of time with a promotion they ran ten years ago.

Unless there's a simple rebate deal from another brand, I buy the 6qt Havoline ProDS smart change boxes from Wal-Mart. The 3.5L EcoBoosts take 6qts with filter, so just dump the box in the crankcase and go. I change per manufacturers recommended intervals.

I just purchased a new F150, it has the 3.5 in it and just a few hundred miles on it. My question, when to change and what to use?
Thanks

try using this in your new F-150 this should help with the timing gear problems

If that was the answer for everything then this bard would be superfluous.
It's the starting point. How many posts do we get here where the OP states "Hi, I have a new car and I don't know what oil to use"? It's not a grand mystery shrouded in deep evening fog as to what is appropriate for the engine.

And I agree that most answers to this question are indeed superfluous.

I just purchased a new F150, it has the 3.5 in it and just a few hundred miles on it. My question, when to change and what to use?
Thanks
I would buy the cheapest oil I could find and change it every 5,000 miles. Most oils are at least labeled "synthetic blend" now are certainly good for 5,000+ miles.

Neighbor puts 250k on his work fleet F-150’s using 5w30 Valvoline WB doing 5k changes on 3.5L with no issues. Usually sells them and orders new after 250k.

Castrol 0w40 since new in mine.
It's what I used in mine when I was doing the oil changes, I have some UOA here most are ~10k
Now that my father is driving it I'm sure it gets the cheapest stuff he can buy :)
Still running good at 140k

I know of a 2.7 Ecoboost that went 465,000 miles on a steady diet of Motorcraft synthetic blend and a 10K oil change interval. He got rid of it because the transmission was failing. Motorcraft blend is good oil.

Even if was the first year's production that's 66K miles a year, that's a **** load of driving. He sure as hell got his monies worth out of it and it didn't owe him a thing.

My 2021 f150 5.0 is getting chevron supreme semi synthetic. I got it for like 1.39/qt I got 25 qts but at 8 qts per oci its only 3 changes. The interval will be 12-16 months and probably less than 3k miles. I don’t see a huge benefit to synthetic for this application. I do understand that this will be longer than the ford recommendation of once per year
But with a 8 quart sump i feel that if i run the truck enough to keep the fuel dilution and condensation burned off it will not be a issue.

Thanks
My opinion:

1k miles. Then every 5k miles or 6 months.

Use a full synthetic 5w-30 if its summer where you are (Supertech advanced, penzoil platinum, or ultra platinum, mobil 1 advanced fs, or mobil 1 EP are all great choices. I like the fram ultra filter, model numbers start xg, or just go motocraft.

If it gets below 10 degrees F regularly run a 0w-30. I've only seen that weight in mobil...

My feelings are a thinner 0W-40 might be perfect for that engine.
Stay away from 0w unless it is below 10 deg F at morning start ups regularly, like canada or something.
0w-40 is using black magic to pretend its thick enough for a turbo. Cap says 5w base oil, don't go 0w unless its artic temps.

Back