Oil for 3.5 Ecoboost ?

What does your owner’s manual say?
Well of course it says go by the oil life and use 5w30 motorcraft synthetic blend but from what I've gathered is that the recommended oil from Ford is well below par as in quality. This motor is my first as in a turbo, just not sure what to use. In my daily driver I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, I'm assuming this will be sufficient too.

Well of course it says go by the oil life and use 5w30 motorcraft synthetic blend but from what I've gathered is that the recommended oil from Ford is well below par as in quality. This motor is my first as in a turbo, just not sure what to use. In my daily driver I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, I'm assuming this will be sufficient too.
Nonsense. Motorcraft oil is not “well below par as in quality”. Where did you “gather” this?

Nevertheless it’s mostly irrelevant. What your manual gives is a Ford specification or an API license. That’s all that really matters, the stuff you posted above is not important. What does it say about actual oil requirements?

Ford spec is WSS-M2C961-A1 which is basically API SP / ILSAC GF-6A. Some oils have been slow to add the new Ford spec, but I know Pennzoil Platinum carries it which is why I used that for my first two changes.

You should be good with any SP rated full synthetic oil at 5,000 mile intervals. Mobil 1 is on rollback at Walmart for under $25 and has a rebate offer right now. Lots of people have success with the motorcraft semi synthetic but it's almost the same price as other full synthetic oils.

For years I used Motorcraft 5w30 blend in my 3.5 EB and it's good oil, they kept raising the price so last year I switched to Pennzoil Platinum.

I'll skip all the subjectiveness in oil brands that comes with loving this forum.

3.5 ecoboost, you can use 5w30 (just about any flavor) and change at 5k miles if you drive normally.
Change earlier (3-4k) if you short trip this engine. I have the 2.7 and bought it new in 2016 (130,xxx). I have used 5w30 10w30 0w40 5w30 euro and 0w40 euro.

To be honest, not much observable difference in mileage with different viscosities. I change between 5-6 thousand miles and have since new. I just can't wrap my brain around the suggested 10k interval that Ford recommends. Right now I have Castrol Edge Euro 0w40 in due to the heat here in Texas. I will be using other brands of oil as we move forward in the times of inflation. The brand I prefer is Castrol and I would say it's about 90% of all oil changes on this engine.

On deck is Kirkland 5w30 and will be the go to until I use it up. Goes in both vehicles at home. Brands used, Valvoline, Super Tech, Mobil 1, Kirkland. All good in the 2.7 and have gone the 5k OCI. I'm not sure the engine knows the difference. I do my own changes and the cost has gone up to about $36 with 6 quarts and Motorcraft oil filter.

A number of members have good results with the ecoboost motors using Castrol Magnatec, recently rebranded as Castrol GTX Full Synthetic. It is getting hard to find a bad choice in oil these days with such stringent standards.

Blackstone Labs has noted that there is no discernable difference in wear metals when appropriately rated oils are used.

The only reason IMO to stray away from MCSB is that it is not a "deal" any more when other Full Synthetics like Quaker State are available at the same price point.

Reactions: JC1
Nothing wrong at all with the Motorcraft Blend. In years past, it was actually a board favorite. Really the main reason is fallen out of favor is its pricing tends to be higher than comparable products. No more, no less...

Currently running Castrol Magnatec (and will need to transition) 5w30 in my 2016 F150 with the 2.7. I go out to 30% oil life remaining on the monitor, and then work on replacement. Works out to about 7000 - 7500 mile oil changes.

I stick to 5,000 mile OCI's in my Ecoboost.
As far as oil, I've used Kirkland, Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec, and now Valvoline EP. There doesn't seem to be any difference, especially at a relatively short interval.

I stick to 5,000 mile OCI's in my Ecoboost.
As far as oil, I've used Kirkland, Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec, and now Valvoline EP. There doesn't seem to be any difference, especially at a relatively short interval.

This! Any quality 5-30 synthetic meeting spec will be fine; key is the 5k OCI to mitigate fuel dilution.

I would dump FF at 1k (I did with my 5.0 F150) and as stated above 3k not a bad idea before settling in on 5k OCI's. That's what I would do with the 3.5 or 2.7 EB.

Short 5000-mile intervals with good synthetic oil. I'm not an EcoBoost fan and would trade your vehicle in before the warranty runs out. Good luck.

Our 2016 Expedition with a 3.5EB has had Motorcraft 5w-30 in it since new. Oil changes every 5k miles, lots of subzero starts, lots of winter idling. 110k miles and it runs perfect.

Reactions: JC1
My 12 F150 and 17 Explorer Sport both have the 3.5 EB and are both about to hit 100k. Zero engine issues from either running a 5w30 Dexos rated oil at 5k intervals. I’ve used Rotella Gas truck, Supertech and Quakerstate Full Synthetic mostly.

If we’re talking a 5w30 synthetic for 5,000 mile intervals, I’d go with whatever is on sale or rebate. You can’t really go wrong with that. Right now I believe Pennzoil is running a rebate and Mobil1 is too. And when you can’t find rebates I used to find that Super Tech was a bargain (but nit really anymore).

Back