Castrol Edge EP 5w30 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

ED5D0860-CB03-41C4-A434-34B4B7EE0475.jpeg
First UOA on my F-150 and I’m pleased with the results. About 80/20 city/highway. I work 4 miles from home. Mostly short trips, some off roading, and a little bit of towing about 6.5k lbs. I didn’t expect wear numbers this low, even for the short-ish 5k run.

The additives referenced was Chevron Techron in the fuel added every other tank or so. Typically fill with Shell 87 octane and occasional 93 for the V-power cleaning additives. I have a JLT catch can, otherwise bone stock motor. Edge EP 5w30 SP was used. no make up oil as it doesn’t use any. Motorcraft oil filter.

I think the silicon was residual from an oil pan change under warranty due to slight seepage about 5k miles before this oci. It didn’t seem to cause any excess wear like other high silicon numbers caused by filtration issues.

The EB definitely sheared it down to a 20 weight but from all the UOA’s I’ve looked at these motors don’t seem to mind the oil at the 20 wt. I’ve never seen that cause any excess wear in other UOAs. The original 3.5 EB motors were spec’d for 5w20 so I think that’s what helps it tolerate the shearing as it’s not technically far out of spec of what the clearances were designed for.

Last edited:
Aluminum is less than Universal Averages, your iron wear is less than half UA and copper is off the charts low. That's a really good report. Don't change a thing.

I'm curious what the TBN would've been on this oil. I'm guessing in the 3s.

Aluminum is less than Universal Averages, your iron wear is less than half UA and copper is off the charts low. That's a really good report. Don't change a thing.

I'm curious what the TBN would've been on this oil. I'm guessing in the 3s.
Agreed. I have some other oils in the queue already so going to try them out and have them tested because why not. But it was my BITOG research that led me to choosing this oil for this motor. Glad to see I chose correctly. My guess on TBN was in the 4’s as it seems to retain well in other UOA’s I’ve seen. I’ll include TBN on a future sample. Interested to see what this Amsoil SS will turn out that’s in there now.

Agreed. I have some other oils in the queue already so going to try them out and have them tested because why not. But it was my BITOG research that led me to choosing this oil for this motor. Glad to see I chose correctly. My guess on TBN was in the 4’s as it seems to retain well in other UOA’s I’ve seen. I’ll include TBN on a future sample. Interested to see what this Amsoil SS will turn out that’s in there now.
What's going to be your next oil?

What's going to be your next oil?
Amsoil SS 5w30 is in there now, next up is the new Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30 cause I like the high moly and their focus on wear protection. Seems like a similar formula to the new Maxlife that has a nice dose of moly and seems to do well in terms of wear metals here. Then either PPUP or PP Euro 5w30, really curious to see how a Euro 5w30 does in this application. Just seems like everything about it would be a good match for this motor that shears down 30 wts but I guess we'll see. Then maybe one summer I'd like to try Castrol 0w40.

5 qt jugs of Castrol Edge Extended is on rollback at Wal Mart, in my neck of the woods at least.

And Edge EP is sold out at Amazon, except for the 5w30, last time I checked.

You can't compare wear between oils via a UOA. It's meaningless to do so and the analysis companies will tell you that.

Ah who knows. If the driving style & conditions remain the same, yet with one oil the wear rates have a noticeable increase, then what’s to blame? Of course it’s the oil.

But since practically all oils these days meet the same API spec, there shouldn’t be any noticeable difference from UOA to UOA in the first place.

Ah who knows. If the driving style & conditions remain the same, yet with one oil the wear rates have a noticeable increase, then what’s to blame? Of course it’s the oil.

But since practically all oils these days meet the same API spec, there shouldn’t be any noticeable difference from UOA to UOA in the first place.
Agreed. I've seen plenty of UOA's on here by same person with same driving habits that show useful data on the differences between oils. Overall, wear is near the same but some are slightly better than others. But you can definitely see a difference in longevity between some oils in TBN, resistance to shearing, etc. But if one oil gets me 1ppm less iron than it was all worth it because that's why we're oil nerds that get on a website like this and are truly entertained reading other people's oil analysis. :D

Agreed. I've seen plenty of UOA's on here by same person with same driving habits that show useful data on the differences between oils. Overall, wear is near the same but some are slightly better than others. But you can definitely see a difference in longevity between some oils in TBN, resistance to shearing, etc. But if one oil gets me 1ppm less iron than it was all worth it because that's why we're oil nerds that get on a website like this and are truly entertained reading other people's oil analysis. :D
Blackstone has stated that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results from any of the oils they have tested. First and foremost a UOA is about the specific engine and the operating conditions not the oil.

I think you're missing the nuances here. Same person, same driving habits is a gross oversimplification. The same person driving the same route every day has tons of variability. Weather, road conditions, traffic, traffic lights, amount of throttle applied and so on.

You cannot attribute wear number changes to an oil with all these factors.

How is it not extended interval? It's Castrol Edge EP...it says right on the bottle for 20,000 miles.
so jk, i thought this was a Valvoline EP thread, i had both tabs open. my bad y0. and of course it won't let me edit my post now

This UOA is good for a 3.5L EB; the wear rates are admirable. If you're happy with the results, I'd stick to the plan. I think it's certainly possible to extend the OCI a bit; try 8k and see what the UOA tells you.

Kschachn is right, but I'd like to refine the point made ...
As for the topic of UOA data and how to interpret it, I think some of you need to visit (or revisit) this:
You most certainly can use UOAs to compare/contrast lubes. But, and this is a huge caveat to understand, you cannot accurately do so with only a single or a few UOAs. To be statistically viable, you need a bare minimum of 30 sample of each; 30 of lube A and 30 of lube B. At 5k mile OCIs, you'd need 300k miles of driving to just review two lubes, one relative to the other. IT IS COMPLETELY IMPROPER TO THINK YOU CAN MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS WITH LESS DATA. You cannot understand the real normal variation (std dev) with low sizes of sample sets.
It is imperative to understand the difference between micro data and macro data.
You can compare/contrast your single UOA to macro data; how does your engine and lube stack up against a group average? You essentially can say "my engine and lube are behaving normally, as they are within the statistical bounds of macro standard deviation". But you cannot say "my engine or lube are better or worse" without having enough data to understand the normal variation, and that only comes with large sample sets of micro data.

I realize it takes all the fun out of this; it makes BITOG a lot less exciting. But you all are fooling yourselves, to your own detriment, if you think you can make a decision regarding any one lube being better or worse than another with only a few UOAs.

Last edited:
Great report, not that they tell much. I would not go "trying" different oils unless this on is doing something
that bother you like excessive noise or below ave fuel mileage. Never found it good to be changing brands and formulations endlessly. The Valvoline should do well as the amsoil will do well. I would extend the oci at least and additional 1500-2000 miles. Good show .

Back