Oil for 2009 Subaru WRX - recommendation request

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OEM Subaru oil filter has a bypass pressure rating of 23 psi. Most aftermarket filters have around 12 psi. That's why you should stick to the Subaru OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: irish44j
Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
Why don't you use the OEM oil filter. No after-market filters meet Subaru's spec.

honestly, because the Subaru dealer is in the most inconvenient, traffic-choked, pain-in-the-[censored]-to-get-to area it could possibly be around here and I absolutely hate going there.

Lots of on-line dealers. And if you find a sale, it could be cheaper than picking up locally (even after shipping).

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: shpankey
I know u don't want synth. But another vote here for Rotella T6 5w40. It's on the cheap end on price but Scoobie turbo's love this oil.

+1. My '03 bugeye hybrid has never performed, sounded, or felt better than since I started using the Rotella 5w-40. It is pretty heavily modified (2.5 sti block/2.0 wrx heads, PE1818 turbo, etc...) and I run around 22 pounds of boost in 95+ degree FL weather and, at least for Subi's, this oil is the stuff of legends...seriously! :) I've spun bearings on two ej205 blocks using Mobil1 so I unfortunately know the other side of the spectrum as well
frown.gif

Also, I would call the Subaru dealership and just have them ship you like 5 or 6 oil filters. Usually the shipping is only $5 and if you ask, many times they'll have deals where if you buy 4 you get 1 for free, or something similar.

Good luck...and enjoy the new Rex!!!

quick follow-up:

a buddy who is moving just gave me 5qts of Royal Purple synthetic 10w40. Ok to use? On this OCI, most of the mileage is going to be two long highway trips (300 miles each way, twice) and an autocross. Temps expected over 70 degrees the whole time.

I've read varying things about RP in turbo subarus, so want to double-check before I use it that I'll be ok...

You shouldn't have a problem irish44j. Thats a pretty robust oil. Their 0w-40 is probably better, but, since the oci is going to be short, 600mi + autoX, no harm can come from it. royal purple is a good oil. it doesn't agree with my engine, just like pineapple doesn't agree with my stomach, no reason why, just doesn't. but for many people, it works just fine.

There's an M1 turbo test on youtube (test M1 5w30) - the turbo gets glowing RED HOT (Mobil engineers did the test & video).

After seeing that test, I couldn't put a dino in a turbo engine and sleep at nite.

M1 0w40 would probably be my top pick - but I would loath draining it at 3.75k.

Is it the regular SAE Royal Purple of the XRP RP? I think their best SAE oil is 0w40 but in XRP their 10w40 is amazing. It was built to handle exotic fuels too, like methanol alchohol etc. I really want some 10w40 XRP Royal Purple but it's probably the most expensive oil I've seen. Currently I run Redline 10w40 and it's really been awesome and I can get it for a decent price if I order online and by the case.

p.s. Scooby guys *LOVE* Motul oil's. Check out their forums, they all run Motul and recommend it. But as I said earlier in the thread, personally, on the cheap, you cannot touch Rotella T6 5w40. That oil is stout and does an awesome job. Some of the lowest wear numbers I've seen is with that oil.

p.s. Scooby guys *LOVE* Motul oil's. Check out their forums, they all run Motul and recommend it. But as I said earlier in the thread, personally, on the cheap, you cannot touch Rotella T6 5w40. That oil is stout and does an awesome job. Some of the lowest wear numbers I've seen is with that oil.

Thanks for the heads up man! I actually used Motul for quite some time but it's nearly 4 times the cost so when the Rotella started consistently showing such great numbers, it was a no brainer to make the switch...at least for me.

Thanks again! :) Have a great weekend everyone! DuPont Cars & Coffee and PCA AutoX Saturday...woohoo.

No prob man. You've made a very wise decision imo. Rotella T6 is an awesome oil for a great price that does really awesome in your car (and mine, I ran it too in my Mazdaspeed 3).

Originally Posted By: SoobyDoo
I know u don't want synth. But another vote here for Rotella T6 5w40. It's on the cheap end on price but Scoobie turbo's love this oil.

+1. My '03 bugeye hybrid has never performed, sounded, or felt better than since I started using the Rotella 5w-40. It is pretty heavily modified (2.5 sti block/2.0 wrx heads, PE1818 turbo, etc...) and I run around 22 pounds of boost in 95+ degree FL weather and, at least for Subi's, this oil is the stuff of legends...seriously! :) I've spun bearings on two ej205 blocks using Mobil1 so I unfortunately know the other side of the spectrum as well
frown.gif

Also, I would call the Subaru dealership and just have them ship you like 5 or 6 oil filters. Usually the shipping is only $5 and if you ask, many times they'll have deals where if you buy 4 you get 1 for free, or something similar.

Good luck...and enjoy the new Rex!!!

Which Mobil 1 viscosities were you using when you spun bearings on your two ej205 blocks? Mobil 1 5W30 or something else?

I'm betting it was the M1 5w30. I've heard of other's having spun bearings with it as well. One of the other reason's I do NOT like the M1 5w30, along with the high Fe and generally below avg UOA's.

M1 0w40, 15w50 and the TDT, all great though. But I wouldn't put the M1 5w30 in my enemies car. It is my opinion that they cheap out on that oil, probably b/c it's the most popular viscosity and the most money can be saved with it.

Last edited:
another update: stopped by wally-world after work today and got Rotella T5 10W30 for $13 per gallon with a coupon that was sitting on the shelf. T6 was regular price $20/gallon and only in 15w40.

I think I'll hold off on the RP and use the T5 - it seems to be popular among subie guys (a bit below the T6 full syn).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back