Oil for 2010 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeHieu
Oops, you guys are right. The 5w30 is the recommended grade. I must have overlooked that! Reading the Subaru boards, it seems like Subaru's burn Mobile 1 for some reason, so that is out of the question. For whatever reason, there have been more than a few WRX's drinking Mobile 1 like water and then spin a bearing.

Keep in mind I'm really a newbie with this stuff but my guess for the posts you've read about Subaru's burning Mobil 1 is more than likely because people switched to synthetic too early and the engine hasn't been broken in yet. I can't recall the exact reasons for why an engine not yet broken in doesn't handle synthetic very well and I may indeed be wrong about this but someone more knowledgable will chime in I am sure.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
Oops, you guys are right. The 5w30 is the recommended grade. I must have overlooked that! Reading the Subaru boards, it seems like Subaru's burn Mobile 1 for some reason, so that is out of the question. For whatever reason, there have been more than a few WRX's drinking Mobile 1 like water and then spin a bearing.

Keep in mind I'm really a newbie with this stuff but my guess for the posts you've read about Subaru's burning Mobil 1 is more than likely because people switched to synthetic too early and the engine hasn't been broken in yet. I can't recall the exact reasons for why an engine not yet broken in doesn't handle synthetic very well and I may indeed be wrong about this but someone more knowledgable will chime in I am sure.

I plan on switching to Synthetic at about 10k miles or so, is that an ideal time?

Many cars come with synthetic from the factory, and even while in the factory for engine testing. Dino during break-in? Myth busted.

I took my 09 STi and did the following.

Change at 1k with Synthetic
Change at 2k With Synthetic
Change at 3k With Synthetic

Those were using Rotella T 5w40

I changed over at 6k to Redline 10w40 for summer and Redline 0w40 for winter.

I have no ringland issues as of 21,800 miles, and dont burn a drop of oil.

For the winter, I'd go with the Rotella 5w40 syn if it were mine. Probably run conventional 15w40 like Delo or Rotella in the summer due to the frequent changes.

Thanks for the quick replies all. Based on the answers, I will try to go find some 10W-30 Delo 400 / Rotella 10w-30 until about 10k, then switch to Rotella T6 5w-40.

I use Rotella T5 10w-30 syn blend in my 09 wrx, as suggested here previously. It's cheap (can be bought at Walmart) enough that I'm not throwing money away on frequent OCI's while under warranty.

Last edited:
30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50

Are those mono grade 30 and 40 oils it specs?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50

Are those mono grade 30 and 40 oils it specs?

Yep. Here is a pic from my 06' Legacy 2.5i manual.

subaruk.jpg

yeah i wouldnt run anything but a 40wt oil in a turbo car since turbo's are a gauntlet on oil due to their very high temperatures with some hot spots exceeding 500 degrees. the Rotella T6 would be great, my only complaint is that it comes in 1 gallon (4qt) jugs and not 5qt jugs. however if the suby only requires 4qts then you're in luck.

the Rotella T5 (is that is) 10w30 should be great for break in. engines need to be run pretty strong to break them in, so have fun with it and dont worry one bit.

Thanks for the quick replies all. Based on the answers, I will try to go find some 10W-30 Delo 400 / Rotella 10w-30 until about 10k, then switch to Rotella T6 5w-40.
You should be able to find one of those at a Walmart out there.

Based on various used oil analysis reports on the BITOG site, I've seen most of the xW-30 oils get sheared down to somewhere in the xW-20 visicosities. For whatever reason the Subie turbo engines tend to beat up the oil. When I had my '02 WRX, I noticed it would eat a bit more oil towards the end of the oil change interval. I'm guessing that was due to the eventual shearing of the oil grade mentioned above. I believe your best all around bet is the Shell RTS T6 5W-40 oil. Don't worry about the higher levels of zinc/phosphorus. It's cheap enough where you won't feel so bad about dumping a synthetic after 3750 miles and I believe it has a good following in the WRX/STI forums.

Ed B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back