Oil for 2006 Vibe 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm looking for oil for my new to us Pontiac Vibe base model.

I was in the GM dealer recently and noticed they have Ac Delco oil synethic blend for 3.99 a litre. This is about as good a deal as youll find on regular priced oil. I think it's what it's the car right now because of it's recent GM oil change.

Any reason not to run this in a nasty cold Alberta winter?

The other options price wise are Motomaster synthetic, Motorcraft syn blend at the Ford dealer, and Petro Canada oils from the gas station.

Other oil usually go on sale at the local Canadian tire, but there are regulars.

The car has 100k miles and the oil will be changed at 6 months 3-5k most likely.

Any thoughts?

Your 1ZZ engine should be new enough to have the piston oil return redesign, so there are no special needs for this engine.

Any major brand Synthetic Blend 5w-20 or 0w-20 will serve you well enough, but given your Northern location I would go for the improved cold weather performance of a major brand full synthetic 0w-20. Starting in extreme cold will be easier, and your engine will be fully lubricated sooner.

AC Delco will probably work just fine with no problems.

Almost anything will work for the OCI you'll be running.

Remember that the Vibe is a Matrix (Toyota), and TGMO would be a great choice if you can get it at a good price.

You don't have a GT, do you? (both engines are 1.8L)

That may be about the best deal you'll find in Canada without a long hunt. The AC/Delco Dexos blend ironically is about the lamest performing Dexos oil available though based on UOA's posted here. The stuff just doesn't hold up compared to other Dexos blends.

Recommend TGMO 0W-20. Just bought some at the Toyota dealer for $5.74 per liter which is an amazing price for this oil or any synthetic oil in Canada.
Just changed the oil in my son's Pontiac G5 with the 2.2 liter Ecotec using TGMO. About 105K kms on the car. Sounds good so far - no different than the 5W-30 I use for the summer oil change.

Trying to avoid this from happening again......

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._G5#Post3354608

Last edited:
Thanks a ton guys.

Is the Ac Delco oil any good? I heard it was pretty stout, but also mixed reviews.

The Toyota dealer is a bit of a hike. But might be worthwhile at that price!

Whats Honda synthetic like price wise?

For your climate, cheapest 0w20 full synthetic will be your best bet. Not all Toyota dealers sell 0w20 for that price though, call first.

My wife's previous car was a 07 Vibe with the 1.8 engine. I thought it ran quieter and smoother on QSGB. Those are good engines, I wish ours hadn't been totaled out in an accident.

Thanks Texican.

I'd love to run QS, but I was conscerned about it at upwards of -40. It'd probably do fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back