Oil for '13 Focus ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up some of the new Ultra Platinum 5w-30 for my Focus ST with 10k. Used the "old" Ultra after FF was dumped at 1k.

This car sees a 30 mile round trip commute each day, the roughly 50/50 split city and highway. I wait for the oil to warm a bit before thrashing it, during which it sees up to 21psi of boost... often and daily.

Is there a better oil I could be using without venturing into a racing or boutique type oil? What would you recommend?

A lot of people on here have discussed they aren't too thrilled with the specs of the new Pennzoil synthetic lineup, especially compared to what it was before. I'm sure it'll be fine though. According to the owners manual for this car, it calls for 5w20. If it were me I'd be running Motorcraft 5w20 or any other 0w20.

NO. the manual (ST supplement)states 5W-30. The regular Focus takes 5W-20. I have an ST and use synthetic do the higher temps generated by the turbo.

Ok I was on www.ford.com and looked in the owners manuals for a Focus ST and it said 5w20, but I just looked and in a separate PDF file for the ST it does say 5w30.

In that case I'd use Motorcraft Full Synthetic

Just use any 5W30 that meets Ford's specs and just about all do.

Ford beat the snot out of that engine on nothing special for a lubricant. Engines are about the last thing I worry about in a auto.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Where you get Motorcraft full synthetic at ?

Does the dealer not stock their own product?

Or per antiqueshell.... "$tealership!"

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

That's gonna be about $10 a quart at the dealer.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

That's gonna be about $10 a quart at the dealer.
crazy.gif

$10 per quart!? Maybe they are $tealerships!

Lol

Correct oil spec is 5w-30 for the 2.0 Ecoboost as mentioned above.

So Motorcraft syn is going to stand up to a daily thrashing as well as the new Plat or Ultra Plat? I know these engines tend to shear the oil before long, so would I be better off going for a heavy 5w-30 for the 5k drains I plan on? What would be a heavier oil that may stand up to it better?

Where you get Motorcraft full synthetic at ?

I thought a lot of auto parts stores stock it?

I see it everywhere, just not in jugs like the 5w20. Quart bottles? AAP, AZ, PPoys, WM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back