Oil for 1.3L Fiat Turbo

Looking for oil for my 1.3T in my Jeep Renegade. I've had a few threads on here about it. Jeep specs an 0w30 that is SN+ and meets Mopar MS-13340 spec (I am concluding this is similar to D1G2). After one of the older threads, I decided to do Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 for a few runs (switched out factory fill at like 2500 miles to Mobil 1 AFE then again at 8600 and again at 14000). I did an oil analysis and it came back with significant fuel dilution and the oil sheared in to a 20wt nearly. My driving habits were all short trips then and lots of idling in the cold. Many people in that thread recommended a euro xx-30 of some type. I would for sure run a 5w30, but am worried about cold starting. Where I am at in Wisconsin, we often will have weeks below 0 degrees and can get down to -20 to-30 or lower a few times a winter. The Jeep now (since moving this month) rarely goes anywhere without getting up to full oil temp (commute is 19 miles all two lane highway each way, doesn't get driven everyday though). What would be the best oil to use? I've looked at Ravenol and Liqui-Moly and see some euro spec 0w-30s that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Fuel dilution will always be a factor. Changing oil wont fix that of course. Also, the oil may not have sheared but the viscosity could have been decreased by the fuel in the oil.

The Mobil 1 should be totally up to the task, you may just need to change it more often to combat the fuel building up.

None of the three Euro 0w30s I can think of meet your Fiat spec although they are fantastic oils. With your small turbo I'd recommend you stay with something low saps whatever you choose.

None of the three Euro 0w30s I can think of meet your Fiat spec although they are fantastic oils. With your small turbo I'd recommend you stay with something low saps whatever you choose.
I'm not dead set on meeting the factory approval given that they might pick fuel economy over longevity...

id personally use a 0 or 5w-40 euro oil like Quaker state euro 5w-40. has two fiat certifications on it but i don't think they're for yours but qs euro is a very thin 40 it seems and i highly doubt you'll have a single issue. It would help with shearing, either from the turbo or maybe fuel dilution.

I would definitely try mob 1 0w/40 which is ace from my experience

If fuel dilution is high, could it be because the engine is running rich ? either poor combustion, cold weather or just the car use?

If fuel dilution is high, could it be because the engine is running rich ? either poor combustion, cold weather or just the car use?
Going to do an other oil analysis after this change, so we will see if there's a trend.

Looking for oil for my 1.3T in my Jeep Renegade. I've had a few threads on here about it. Jeep specs an 0w30 that is SN+ and meets Mopar MS-13340 spec (I am concluding this is similar to D1G2). After one of the older threads, I decided to do Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 for a few runs (switched out factory fill at like 2500 miles to Mobil 1 AFE then again at 8600 and again at 14000). I did an oil analysis and it came back with significant fuel dilution and the oil sheared in to a 20wt nearly. My driving habits were all short trips then and lots of idling in the cold. Many people in that thread recommended a euro xx-30 of some type. I would for sure run a 5w30, but am worried about cold starting. Where I am at in Wisconsin, we often will have weeks below 0 degrees and can get down to -20 to-30 or lower a few times a winter. The Jeep now (since moving this month) rarely goes anywhere without getting up to full oil temp (commute is 19 miles all two lane highway each way, doesn't get driven everyday though). What would be the best oil to use? I've looked at Ravenol and Liqui-Moly and see some euro spec 0w-30s that might fit the bill?

Thanks!
You're on this forum so you'll most likely embrace the short drain interval making it a non-problem ;)

If you're idling the car to warm the engine then this is what's most likely causing the fuel dilution, just drive with small throttle inputs and it'll spend less time in cold start mode (choke mode), might help.

If the engine has a turbo then the oil needs to have the API rating of "SN."

Bringing this back up - I've decided it's between 4 oils:
1. Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 - as I understand, this is a mid SAPS oil. Is that worse for buildup on intake valves?
2. Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 - I understand this is a low SAPS oil. My only concern here is pumpability when we see our -20 to -30F temps. No engine block heater on this Jeep.
3. Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30
4. Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 - probably the weakest oil here, but has the MS-13340 spec the manual calls for. If I had the 2.0, this is what Jeep recommends (5W30 meeting MS 13340)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Bringing this back up - I've decided it's between 4 oils:
1. Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 - as I understand, this is a mid SAPS oil. Is that worse for buildup on intake valves?
2. Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 - I understand this is a low SAPS oil. My only concern here is pumpability when we see our -20 to -30F temps. No engine block heater on this Jeep.
3. Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30
4. Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 - probably the weakest oil here, but has the MS-11392 spec the manual calls for.

Thanks!
Why would esp 0w30 not be the same as the esp 5w30?

C3 (LL04, 229.51, C30) will have a min hths of 3.5.
C2 will have a hths of 2.9 to 3.5.

Otherwise, IIRC, they're the same with regards to SAPS.

Like others have said the best thing is to not let the vehicle warm up during cold months. Just get in and drive off. It'll heat up much quicker but ya you'll be cold for a few minutes.

Wally has some full syn Euro 0w40 QS for about $16 for a jug, which will be good choice

Back