Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, new to posting.

Few Points about the car that might matter:

2007 VW GTI with Over Built Motor and Big Turbo
- Pistons are +.5mm Bored JE FSR
- Turbo is the TTE480 Hybrid
- Tuning is United Motorsports custom tune
- Flex Fuel Capable thanks to UM Tune

Have used Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 for a few years now mainly due to the high zinc. Seems to help quite a bit with the wear problem on the flat faced cam follower. Also, seemed to help some with the burning oil issues that are prone to the 2.0t FSI. I have used Castrol edge back when I first got the car in 2007, but the cam follower wore down noticeably quicker than the T6. Similar results with Mobil 0w-40 but that was only for one cycle and can't really comment too much.

The turbo and tuning are new and I will be getting my car back tomorrow. Was just wondering if there were any suggestions for the added power.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of oil temps are you seeing? Sounds like it could dump alot of heat into the oil fast.

Is the cooling upgraded?

Unfortunately I don't have aftermarket gauges installed yet. Temp has never budged passed dead center on the stock coolant sensor and in logging for the tuning everything is acceptable all the way to 28 PSI

The Cooling system is upgraded though.
- Mishimoto Radiator
- APR Intercooler
- Water/Meth
- Spark Plugs are usually one heat range cooler but i got the wrong ones this time but should be fine.

Edit to add: Motor has 130,000 on the clock but was rebuilt around 96,000

Last edited:
Also want to add Compression ratio is down to 9.5:1 from 10.5:1 and compression test last month showed 190-200 across the board.

I see Oil Specs have changed quite a bit with most oils the past few years including the T6 Rotella stuff. Didn't know if there was some one with a better add pack now days.

Always loved the look of the M1 Racing 0W-30 add pack...

If you want tons of zinc and moly, look at Redline 5w40 (the regular one has more zinc and moly than Euro 5w40 iirc).

Keep checking (and replace if needed) the cam follower every 10,000 miles

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
If you want tons of zinc and moly, look at Redline 5w40 (the regular one has more zinc and moly than Euro 5w40 iirc).

Is there any evidence that more is better for those additives?

zinc and phosphorous are components of ZDDP, which is a anti-wear additive.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/

Nothing, really is going to help the cam follower, other than changing the tappet style follower to a roller style with modified cam profile.

High ZDDP isn't going to matter, because the OP is not running the stock downpipe, that has 2 cats. He's either catless or on a single high-flow cat.

Correct, not stock exhaust. Cat was old on the neuspeed downpipe so we just cut the cat and v-banded a test pipe in for now. The Shop that did the work swears by Torco Sr1 5w-40 for their street cars so that is what is in there now. Very little info on recent VOAs that I can find, might buy some extra and send in to post up over here.

I will be doing the conversion to the roller style follower in the future when I recoup from the turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back