Oil for '04 Jetta 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently bought a new '04 Jetta 2.0 5spd which we plan on keeping awhile. I love old-tech engines like the 2.0. Unfortunately there is not an abundance of info on BITOG specifically regarding the 2.0. So I had a few questions about oils.

I have decided to use either GC 0W-30 which is available at the local autozone, or SAAB 0W-30 turbo oil. Those two oils specifically because they have other manufacturers long life approvals and my 2.0 calls for 10k mile OCI starting at 10k miles. I am leaning more towards the GC 0W-30 as it meets VW 502.00, SJ and ACEA A3 as called for in the owners manual.

I am sure the oil in our old-tech 2.0 lives an easy life. The car is a commuter which sees almost 100 miles daily (95% freeway), it comes from the factory with a water to oil cooler, it puts out a pavement pounding 115hp/122tq
wink.gif
, and it is a seriously overbuilt engine.

Are my oil choices too thin for this specific engine? What other easily available oils would you recommend? Any other recommendations?

I know I am being anal but I like to keep my cars in the same condition as the day they left the showroom.

Thanks a million

[ March 28, 2004, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: pezzy669 ]

the 0w30 would be a great choice... that is if you're gonna use amsoil s2k... i can't guarantee anything otherwise, although i know a lot of people are fans of the GC. and i'd bet that other oil is just a rebagged something or other..

I consider myself an expert on the 2.0l.
grin.gif
Firstly, consumption is an issue and varies widely on these engines, the newer low-tension rings engines being most at fault. I can tell you that Mom's 96 Passat had burned zero oil on mechanic HDEO Castrol RX 15w-40, 2x a year. She ended up with Rotella T Syn, 1x/year. As long as you have a heavy dino oil that cleans, you are fine. We have a female friend with a 2000 Jetta. VW Certified, it was delivered a quart low and dirty. I filled it for her and told her to get it changed at the dealer(for free). She neglected to do so and returned 6 months later with only ~1 quart left! I changed it immediately with a filter from my woman's Audi and some Rotella T Syn I had around. Better result. That was 6 months ago, she returned this time with 3 quarts. Sent her on her way full of Pennzoil LL 15w-40. (almost a 50 weight!) Moral of the story is that Quickie-Lube 5w-30 does not work, and there are a lot of oils that *do* work. You are on the right track with GC, I use it by the case. The MPG benefits while you are commuting 100mi/day should make it an attractive choice. In winter, I am going to use either M1 5w-40 SUV or Syntec 5w-50 if consumption is bad in my friend's car. As far as ocis go, VW 502 is not the Long-Life spec, the 503.02 is, only GC and M1 0w-40 meet it...over-the-counter. Whatever, any A3 oil would be sufficient, although not every usable oil will have the spec, like Delvac and other HDEOs. All this being said, Syntec 10w-40 is an A3-oil that is fine for a 6 month/9k oci.

[ March 28, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

see the oil analysis results under gas engine UOA's I recently posted for a 99 2.0.

M1 10w-30 with Lube Control for a look at oil and engine under stress for nearly 10,000 miles drain interval.

Enjoy and
welcome.gif
pezzy669 !

I wouldn't want to contradict Audi Junkie, but the last couple of years has brought great advancement to oils IMHO. I think a lot of past experience with 30 wt. oils even a couple of yearts ago may be dated. I believe you would be fine with the GC, but I would do an oil analysis to be sure. Other choices if you and the analysis points to a 40 wt would be Amsoil, Mobil 1 (I would go with a mix of 10W-30 and 15W-50), Delvac 1-all for extended service (7500 miles or greater). Other 40 wts. for regular service-anything but Chevron
grin.gif
grin.gif

I never considered Amsoil (in any grade) as it does not have the necessary VW approvals and is hard to obtain.

It has been rumored to me that all VW's are factory filled with Castrol SLX 0W-30 (GC 0W-30). Explains the green oil in our Jetta has and it makes sense but I may be wrong. Our Jetta over 1600 miles has shown no noticeable consumption of the mystery oil.

I am going to try the lightweight oils (0W-30) for the fuel economy benefits as pointed out above. Also as a test to see if there are any consumption issues.

Thanks everyone

I have a 1999 GTI 2.slow auto, which I'm about to sell. I bought it two year ago as a CPO car from VW dealer. I didn't really plan on keeping it that long (it was a joint venture, and an experiment with keeping a care in the city). Because of this I wasn't too anal about maintenance.

I've used mainly used dino 5w30, with various filters. I changed the oil every 4-5K mile or so. It pretty reliably uses a quart between changes. It's been about 2K since the last change, and it's about 1/2 a quart low.

I just bought a new '03 VR6. I'll probably be a bit more fastitious with maintenance with the new car. It will probably get M1 0w40 or BC 5w40. More likely the M1 since it's eons easier to get, and just a tad cheaper (really, a quarter a quart). The only filters you can use on the 24V VR6 are OEM (have never seen one in an auto parts store, though I'm sure they're available mail order).

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:
I have a 1999 GTI 2.slow auto, which I'm about to sell. I bought it two year ago as a CPO car from VW dealer. I didn't really plan on keeping it that long (it was a joint venture, and an experiment with keeping a care in the city). Because of this I wasn't too anal about maintenance.

I've used mainly used dino 5w30, with various filters. I changed the oil every 4-5K mile or so. It pretty reliably uses a quart between changes. It's been about 2K since the last change, and it's about 1/2 a quart low. I wouldn't worry too much about oil type in this engine. It's a pretty low tech, low stress engine. The fuel injection system is another matter. They **** thing eats mass airflow sensors like potato chips. Three so far on this car.

Being a glutton for punishment, I just bought a new '03 VR6. I'll probably be a bit more fastitious with maintenance with the new car. It will probably get M1 0w40 or BC 5w40. More likely the M1 since it's eons easier to get, and just a tad cheaper (really, a quarter a quart). The only filters you can use on the 24V VR6 are OEM (have never seen one in an auto parts store, though I'm sure they're available mail order).

The owners manual calls for just one of the following or a combination of the below.

API SJ
VW 500.00 (obsolete), 501.01 or 502.00
ACEA A2 or A3

I know the Amsoil is recommended for vehicles requesting the above specs, but it still does not officially carry the VW approvals or any approval for that fact. On top of that the Amsoil costs up to $4 more per quart (Series 2000 0W-30), plus shipping.

I am mostly concerned about warranty issues. If I ever have any oil related problems I can tell Volkswagen I used an oil that officially met at least 1 of their approvals (SAAB 0W-30 meets API SJ) or all of their approvals (GC 0W-30 meets SJ/SL, ACEA A3 and VW 502.00).

I do not doubt that Amsoil makes good oil (my father swears by them), but I am going to stick with the manufacturers recommendations until my 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty expires.

I use Delvac 1 5W-40 in my mothers 2.0 New Beetle. She only puts on about 5,000 miles a year. I was looking for a oil that could last 12 months in between oil changes. With you living in Florida. I would use any of these

Delvac 1 5W-40/Mobil 1 5W-40 SUV/Truck
Delvac 1300 15W-40
Delo 400 15W-40
Shell Rotella 15W-40

I'm not sure if they changed anything in the 04 user manual. Heard that it specifies to use 5W-40 synthetic only, but I don't agree on that. For regular engines like the 2.0, running conventional motor oil works. On my 02 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 I'm currently using 5W-30 Castrol conventional. I know its not a VW specified oil but it works fine, just might consume a bit more oil. Since the 2.0 engine has that oil consumption problem on 99-02 engines, yours should not have that problem or at least heard its fixed. I say as long as you use the VW 50x with that ACEA number, its fine. I think VW factory fills the cars with 5W-40, not sure if its synthetic or regular stuff. I say the Castrol 0W-30 is a great choice since it should be energy conserving and hear that the car consumes less oil with that. So I say Castrol 0W-30, Valvoline Synpower 5W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40 for synthetic. For regular conventional I say 5W-30, or higher grades.

[ March 28, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: lpcmidst128 ]

Let me say first, that with over 120K miles on my 2.0, I have not experienced any oil consumption using 3000-4000K OCI even using Chevron Supreme Dino 10w-30. When in FLA or Jekyll Island, GA I use heavier oils, how about M1 15w-50 for JAX?
As to VW OCI recommendations of 10K, allow me to warn you that this is not for your benefit , but to sell "economical and low maintenance" vehicles.
An example of this is the "lifetime transmission" with only a 100k recommended service. Now the warranty was cut back to 60k from 100K due to excessive tranny failures.

quote:

I am mostly concerned about warranty issues. If I ever have any oil related problems I can tell Volkswagen I used an oil that officially met at least 1 of their approvals

If there is a question about oil quality, VW will just send your sample out to the lab. Any oil will pass if it is still fluid. In reality, ACEA A3 is really the spec to look for and Syntec Blend 10w-40 meets it for $2 and shows great UOAs. Better than a 30 weight Mobil 1 for this application, imo.

Although we have found that 0W is not related to wear, I think the fact that you live in Fl. should have some bearing on your choice. 10W is all you really need of the winter end, and then you'll need to choose a 30 or 40. I vote for a 40 for this engine, but there are many synthetic 30's that will show about the same wear and MAY give slightly better MPG.

I'm voting with Terry on the LC, I'm starting to think it's "the JUICE'....

Amsoil 10W-40, or even 15W-40 with good dose of LC is my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back