Oil filters. Which ones you guys like / trust / recommend for normal condition driven sedans?

Napa Gold or Platinum. Theyre made by Wix and are great filters. I use Napa Gold in the Hyundai (because it only goes 5K between changes) and Platinum in the Honda (because it goes 24K between changes).

Is that the Holly Farms #11 car ???

Awesome !!!!!!!!
*****Warning***** Sorry non car nuts. Please delete if you are not into NASCAR history. I am full of it along with a lot of other cr*p!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YES indeed it is. My computer is chocked full of classic car photos and of all the classics and other cars and trucks I have owned or drooled over.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is the one old Cale Yarbrough drove to his 2nd? NASCAR Championship in a row. I have the 1:24 scale metal model that has the exact paint job in the photo. Took me years to dig one up on internet. Think he is the only racer to pull that off until Jimmie Johnson? If there is anyone else who won back to backs it has to be "The King" Richard Petty #43. So Cale and even Daryl Waltrip among a host of others quickly switched cars to the 1975 and the 1976 Chevy Chevelle Laguna Type S3 cars once they figured out that sloped nose front end like the Chevy Camaros was a wind cheater that could our run even the most powerful Mopars at that time. I have photos from the late 70s races in progress and its hard in some of the shots to spot anything other than the 75 / 76 Chevelles like Cale's. I recently found out Dale E's first full time NASCAR ride happened to be the Army #30 Chevelle Laguna S3. I had been lusting over Chevy Chevelles since about the age of ten. By the time I graduated high school Chevy had redesigned the 75 & 76 Chevelles for sale to the public as a "smog era choked down horsepower" chunk of iron with a top rated measly 200 horsepower. My first new car was one (had it stolen never recovered) then got a 2nd one in 1976 - commenced to beefing it up right away with dual exhaust, 4bbl carb replaced the 2bbl and Hooker Headers piped all the way out the back eliminated the cat converter. Like an idiot I traded her in for a 4wd GMC for deer hunting and pulling boats in 1982. So I got itchy in 2005 and started searching and found my last (3rd) one in Florida. Took a plane ride to a tiny town deep into the heart of the Okeechobee swamps and found one a guy had listed on Ebay Motors and made a deal and drove it home. What an awesome , fun adventure. That is the last classic car I sold in 2019. Sorry I did now.

NASCAR[edit]​

Cale Yarborough's No. 11 Chevelle Laguna
The third generation Chevelle was an extensively used body style in NASCAR competition from 1973 to 1977. The Chevelle Laguna S-3 in particular was extremely successful. Its sloped nose, small rear quarter windows and "fastback-style" rear glass gave it an aero advantage over other GM body styles at NASCAR's fastest tracks. Junior Johnson's team, with driver Cale Yarborough, won 34 races and (earned the first two of three consecutive Winston Cup championships.) Considered a limited edition "aero" model by NASCAR, the Laguna S-3 was made ineligible for competition following the 1977 season. The Laguna was so fast that Nascar required the cars be fitted with 'restrictor plates' to effectively slow them down when no other cars had this requirement.

Motor Trend said in 1973: "While neither Chevrolet or Pontiac are back in racing, the new crop intermediates out of GM's styling studios are curiously aerodynamic. They are also curiously competing on the NASCAR circuit tracks, and selling as fast as they can be hauled to the dealerships."

Attachments

• daleearmylaguna.jpg
    daleearmylaguna.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 16
  • caleslagunatypes3.jpg
    caleslagunatypes3.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 17
  • cale.jpg
    cale.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I simply use the OEM filter, assuming that it can be sourced easily and at a good price.

Assuming the two conditions above are true, it is rarely a bad choice for a vehicle being used under "normal" conditions.

MANN or Super tech for me, I never go long enough to warrant something better, plus the MANN w811/80 is built like a tank.
I have not seen MANN anyplace in my area. I was looking for Super Tech though. For some reason , the Super Tech in the system for my 2018 car that they had in stock on the shelf was tiny compared to what we been using from Wix , Amsoil or Mobile1. I double checked another computer tablet in the store to make sure someone did not mess up and place the wrong one there,

No reason to drop a lot of $$ on filters for normal OCI.

Currently using:

Supertech ST8765 in the Cad (identical to OEM ACDelco PF2129G)

ACDelco PF2057 In the Honda (would use Fram PH7317 if the ACDelco isn't on sale)

For my fleet I use NAPA Gold, 10k oil change intervals.
The NAPA filters work out to about $5/ea because I buy the pro pack (case of 12, no box for each filter)l, I get a fleet discount and no taxes on them.

For my personal truck, I use Purolator One. 5k oil changes, about $6/ea because I buy them when they are BOGO.

I have not seen MANN anyplace in my area. I was looking for Super Tech though. For some reason , the Super Tech in the system for my 2018 car that they had in stock on the shelf was tiny compared to what we been using from Wix , Amsoil or Mobile1. I double checked another computer tablet in the store to make sure someone did not mess up and place the wrong one there,
I get them from rock auto.

I think the most helpful and specific answers to your questions depend upon a few parameters, which you don't specify. How many miles on your sedans? How old are your vehicles? What make are your sedans? What type oil do you use? How many miles do you want to target for your OCI? In my case, I have two older Lexus ES 330 sedans -- 2004 and 2005 . I use synthetic blend oil and Toyota filters for OCIs of 5k or less. For OCIs over 5k miles, I use a synthetic oil and a Fram Ultra or NAPA Platinum.

I prefer a high efficiency synthetic media filter, which, now that the FRAM Ultra has been cheapened, leaves only a few choices:
AMSOIL EaO
Royal Purple (which seem to be impossible to get in Canada)
Fleetguard Stratopore (limited part #'s)

I haven't seen the Purolator synthetic filters here and the WIX ones don't have the efficiency.

At the moment I am liking that I have about a two year supply of the now older design Fram Ultra filters for my fleet. That gives me plenty of time to see if the Bitog Beta testers like of dislike the new design Ultras. I'm sure when my stash runs out there will be a lot of real world use commentary, and dissections to view.

I prefer a high efficiency synthetic media filter, which, now that the FRAM Ultra has been cheapened, leaves only a few choices:
AMSOIL EaO
Royal Purple (which seem to be impossible to get in Canada)
Fleetguard Stratopore (limited part #'s)

I haven't seen the Purolator synthetic filters here and the WIX ones don't have the efficiency.
You haven’t saw any Purolator BOSS filters?

Back