Oil filters. Which ones you guys like / trust / recommend for normal condition driven sedans?

SammyChevelleTypeS3

$50 site donor 2023
Just noticed Walmart has 3-4 different priced and type oil filters for our "daily driver" sedans. I usually order filters when I get oil delivered. Its just easier to pick them up when at the store so I decided to check the inventory. From different brands, prices and types. Why would they have different size or capacity filters for the same vehicle? Fram? Supertech, Mobile1 to K&N....? You guys have a preference or reason for certain brands? I have ordered Wix and Amsoil filters, used NAPA, etc... Since I will buy from local store just interested in your choices and ideas or whys? Any conclusions or thought as to why different size / capacity from different makers yet for the same sedan ? I guess if you not comparing or looking around I would not have known how different brands are for some vehicles.

For my two vehicles I use OEM Nissan normally for my Frontier pickup. They cost me about $8 each and get changed at 5,000 mile intervals. For my BMW 323i I use Hengst cartridge filters. They're $5 and I change the oil in that vehicle twice per year.

I have used the Fram Tough Guard, Royal Purple and Napa Platinum on my Nissan but for the money the Fram from WalMart or the OEM from the dealer are the most cost effective.

Napa and Wix are the same product. Napa gold = Wix standard, Napa Platinum = Wix XP, etc.
Personally I stick to Wix standard, Denso, Motorcraft and Bosch because they all make a good quality standard oil filter. Supertech has stepped up their quality in the last year and those are quickly becoming the go-to filter for many DIYers for normal service intervals. Of course it's hard to go wrong with an OEM filter, they typically cost a little more... very little.
EDIT: Motorcraft and Wix standard have silicone anti-drainback valve (ADBV), this is a definite plus for what is considered a standard / OEM equivalent filter. It's been a while since I used a Denso or Bosch, don't recall if they have silicone or nitrile ADBV.

Last edited:
What kind of sedan?
The OEM Ford Motorcraft filters are cheap. They are good quality. Hard to beat. They fit many other models of vehicles.
The FRAM tough guard or Ultra are both good for the money. For a premium filter the Fram Ultra is a good deal.

I buy quality filters normally like Toyota, Wix, Mobil 1, Fram Ultra, and use them for one year 10k interval or 2 5k intervals.

For a normal car changed at a reasonable interval, I'd just use a Fram orange can, get an oversized if you can cross reference it, it's much better media than most value filters, the cellulose end caps are a non-issue unlike some uniformed people like to spout off on the internet, $4 gets you a silicone ADBV and media more efficient than any comparable filter in the price range.

The pretty blue one;
5700003_puo_pl14460_pri_larg.jpg

It's getting hard to find a "bad" filter any more. Time and time again, Fram and their "cardboard" endcaps for the Extra Guard and Tough Guard all look great and have no issues.

Heck, even the dreaded Motorcraft FL820s seems to have its tearing issues resolved.

If you pick up Purolator-made filters with the louvered center tubes, I would peek inside to make sure that the louvers are sufficiently and consistently punched. If they are, you're good to go.

My only other issue is with Wix XP/Napa Platinums and Purolator Bosses. They give up a lot of filter efficiency to gain a high change interval. I'd rather change a shorter change interval filter twice.

For the money Fram Tough Guard.

Reason- They look good cut open just about every time.

No idea what your oil change interval is but they are good for 10K without even thinking about it.
My normal OCI has been about 7,500mi or 12 months on my 2009 2.4L VTECH engine. I do about 45000 to 5000mi OCI so far on our 2018 1.5 Di turbo. . Hardly pass 10,000mi a year anymore on either. Retired and can't travel too far. The wife still works but only puts 12-14mi a day on her car.
Still trying to get set in a pattern on the turbo. Advice from a Honda Tech and others tell me do NOT exceed 5000mi no matter what oil if I want trouble free use with that car. Going to be sampling for that one and use results to help set my OCI on the turbo engine. I been at 5000mi OCI on it so far. I admit to "overkilling" on everything I do if I can afford to. I am still using expensive oil I can live without on my 2009 car n have never done the long mile intervals they claim to be good for. With me its always been more about engine wear and heat I worry about in my motors especially with automakers pushing everyone into using such new lighter oils as 0w20. Depending on the OSA I get from time to time and once my warranty period is up I may attempt a move to ow30 then ow4o. Time + OSA will determine things.
What kind of sedan?
The OEM Ford Motorcraft filters are cheap. They are good quality. Hard to beat. They fit many other models of vehicles.
The FRAM tough guard or Ultra are both good for the money. For a premium filter the Fram Ultra is a good deal.
Honda Accord 4 cylinder 2.4L and a 1.5 Di turbo. I have mostly used Wix/NAPA/Mobil1 & Amsoil (Amsoil one is priced too high IMHO) even though I use the oil from them for the past 30 years or so.

Royal Purple oil filters 💜
I used Royal Purple in my 2002 Honda Accord after 100,000mi. We kept it for 18 years with minimal repairs. Let it go to a new home with 180,000mi I think. II do know she is still out there on the streets with a young college kid. :) Just never realized they sold filters. Silly me. Royal Purple improved the reliability of several very expensive steam turbines + other equipment I used to maintain & repair on the job for a number of years. It made one of my jobs a whole lot easier.

My only other issue is with Wix XP/Napa Platinums and Purolator Bosses. They give up a lot of filter efficiency to gain a high change interval. I'd rather change a shorter change interval filter twice.
But in contrast, you can get high change interval oil filters that are much more efficient. You can have both if the filter is designed well.

I ended up paying $9.00 for the ones I have used before from Walmart Mobile1 M1-110A for my 2009 2.4L and its the SAME one for use in my 2018 1.5 Di turbo. K&N / Mobile1 looked identical and same exact size. SuperTech was a 1" shorter less capacity filter. I have had good use with the Mobile1. It is hard sometimes to locate the air filters sometimes for my two Hondas in Walmart. I think NAPA / Mobile1 / Bosh / K&N are all top quality ones. They do cost a bit more.

Back