Oil filters seem lower quality these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Champ Labs may be the worst filters out there in the jobber market.

Those filters tend to be over value-engineered to the point that very little is left in the can.

They have the minimum number of pleats and the shoddiest construction.

They are like a FRAM OCOD on a diet.

I would rather trust the jobber level Wix/NAPA products and charge just a little more for the oil service.

However, you do have to compete within the marketplace.

At many shops, oil changes are basically a loss leader to attract business. That puts tremendous pressure on finding low cost sources of oil and filters. From my point of view it seems the cost of basic oil filters has not risen as fast as other products. So I suspect oil filter manufacturers have found ways to hold down the cost of basic oil filters, which often means a lesser product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
At many shops, oil changes are basically a loss leader to attract business. That puts tremendous pressure on finding low cost sources of oil and filters. From my point of view it seems the cost of basic oil filters has not risen as fast as other products. So I suspect oil filter manufacturers have found ways to hold down the cost of basic oil filters, which often means a lesser product.

I suspect that the only reason this is possible is that oil filters are rarely asked to actually perform in service.

Starting with a relatively clean engine and good air filtration, an oil filter's job is really pretty easy.

I know this fact is probably unpopular with the ultra expensive filter crowd and commercial oil filter manufacturers bent on upselling.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Is Fram ultra the only filter guaranteed 15K if so I'm thinking about mobil 1 EP 15K. BITOG has moved moved me from 3k oil changes to 6k now I'm ready to double that!

The M1 filters are guaranteed to 15k when synthetic oil is used. They also happen to be made by Fram.

Finalyzd, the big question I have is, How are these cartridge filters looking after they are used? Are they showing any signs of media failures or something off? If not they are doing their job.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: finalyzd

What dont you like about these?

The double pleat construction on the left filter is interesting.

The full on the left is what I like to stock. The one on the right seems like a garbage filter to me.

As long as the filter does what it is supposed to do.

I do think that one should use a filter from a reputable maker.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: zach1900
Is Fram ultra the only filter guaranteed 15K if so I'm thinking about mobil 1 EP 15K. BITOG has moved moved me from 3k oil changes to 6k now I'm ready to double that!

The M1 filters are guaranteed to 15k when synthetic oil is used. They also happen to be made by Fram.

M1 EP filters are Champion filters I believe.

Since oil changes is ALl the maintenance some people do or have done.....why save a dollar? This mentality, IMO, is why important goods are being sent overseas to be manufactured.

Go ahead and try to save that buck. I sure hope it doesnt hasten that motor going to the landfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back