Oil filters seem lower quality these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone its been a long time, but i just had to post because ive noticed all the cartridge oil filters i stock from my current supplier for my shop look like [censored]. Less pleats and flimsy construction.

my question is whats going on? this is a on going issue, luckily ive been able to source better cartridge filters like MANN,FULL and MAHLE for my customers at a decent price. But now ive noticed the spin-on oil filter have changed(reduced size and combining two part numbers into one). The spin-ons i still receive are made in the usa, but look horrible when cut open. i would like to purchase quality ones but the cost is way too high. I recently spoke with different suppliers and they have told me everyone is cutting back when it comes to oil filters. but of course the price will not change.
mad.gif

Has anyone else noticed this current trend?

Most jobber filters have consolidated these days, and I agree, the downsized oil filters SUCK!

Napa Proselect has the full line of correctly sized filters, and they're quality filters made by Wix.

I've noticed that purolator classics have really thin gaskets or maybe i just notice it more because the filter on the Toyota 5sfe is 100% visible when you open the hood. By the end of 6000 miles the gasket seems worn flat and starts to seep, not enough too really concern me but does anybody know of a filter with a nice thick gasket?!

If I were in your situation, I would try to source something in a standard line that is manufactured by Wix, such as Pro-Tec.

Maybe get an account with your local NAPA to supply their ProSelect filters in the Master Pack?

What about Hastings?

You might have to raise your price by a dollar, and tell your customers that the price increase is so you can supply a quality oil filter.

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
... But now ive noticed the spin-on oil filter have changed(reduced size and combining two part numbers into one).....

The consolidation and downsizing to the smallest filter application that will fit has become common practice among jobber filters and some value spin on brand filters like DriveWorks as an example.

If one goes with the generally reputable aftermarket retail brands the spec sizes are still available and used.

Cartridges it hasn't happened because a specific size is required to fit in the housing. Besides the oem cartridges I've found Wix/Napa Gold to be high quality in personal use for Hyun/Kia applications. Seems others have found other aftermarket cartridges, even Puro to be respectable. But my experience is with Wix/NG so I mention it.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
If I were in your situation, I would try to source something in a standard line that is manufactured by Wix, such as Pro-Tec.

Maybe get an account with your local NAPA to supply their ProSelect filters in the Master Pack?

What about Hastings?

You might have to raise your price by a dollar, and tell your customers that the price increase is so you can supply a quality oil filter.

Hasting is a excellent filter i would like to use but the cost would be too much. They average my cost 4-5 dollars each.And even though i do order a couple hundred filters per week the price would only drop a couple cents.

believe it or not 98% of my customer do not care what filter goes on there car but i do. they are amazed that a filter is even changed every oil change.

i will post examples of my some filters i have issues with. And its not even just the filters. i have received cases of oil filters that do not even has the rubber gasket attached! its loosely sitting at the bottom of the box!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Fram ultra the only filter guaranteed 15K if so I'm thinking about mobil 1 EP 15K. BITOG has moved moved me from 3k oil changes to 6k now I'm ready to double that!

What dont you like about these?

The double pleat construction on the left filter is interesting.

Don't know if I posted this before. Chevy Silverado oil filter. OCI unknown.

Owner neglect is the issue here. Not the filters fault.

Currently all my spin-on stock is a champ labs filter.

Just speculating here and specifically for the spin on's, if they are Champ made 'jobber' filters, then some would very likely be ecores. They would also be most similar to STP, Firestone Lube, Walmart TLE (fram) 'Core' filters or the 'fram' Defense filter line. They would be the lowest tier filters and yes from personal experience with STP, filters like the 7317/(14160) size are downsized/consolidated to the 6607 size. The common 3614 would be an ecore application using a combo valve.

Without seeing can't be positive but the lines mentioned above are Champ made jobber tier filters.

Don't know if I posted this before. Chevy Silverado oil filter. OCI unknown.

That's not a filter problem. That is an idiot owner problem. Nasty.

It may be the filters are fakes, knock offs. It can happen, more and more they get better at getting fakes on the market.
If I go for an oil change, if the installer uses a premium filter that costs $3 more to the installer, since I am paying maybe double the parts cost anyway, I will be happier than seeing a white can with Jobber Plus written on it. Just so installer can save the small extra. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back