Oil Filter Wrench for Acura MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
would the pliers type wrench work for you? it work on the J37 on my 2009 mdx, but i am not sure about j35.. maybe you can try it.

other method i use, is stuff sand paper, or shim wood into the cup type oil filter remover. but my experiences is the pliers type provide the most force. but do not over tighten when using the pliers, as it may deform the oil filter housing. best luck!

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: dave123
Honda OEM filters are the tightest on the planet to take off.

Oh, great. I have that to look forward to.

I did my car's first change today and this turned out to be a non-issue. A cap wrench took it right off without any fuss at all.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
would the pliers type wrench work for you? it work on the J37 on my 2009 mdx, but i am not sure about j35.. maybe you can try it.

other method i use, is stuff sand paper, or shim wood into the cup type oil filter remover. but my experiences is the pliers type provide the most force. but do not over tighten when using the pliers, as it may deform the oil filter housing. best luck!

I went with a band wrench.

Last edited:
I use this big pair of slip joint plier's / oil filter removing set I bought from Harbor Frieght.

It's my go to oil filter wrench if I have room to get a grip :)

Shawn

If the oil filter is behind the front passenger side wheel, I usually just pop the wheel off and use my oil filter pliers on it. Also nice to have a solo cup or something similar on hand to twist the filter off with, cup catches any extra oil that tries to spill out.

Sometimes I don't even need the pliers since you can get a good grip on the filter with the wheel off.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
If the oil filter is behind the front passenger side wheel, I usually just pop the wheel off and use my oil filter pliers on it. Also nice to have a solo cup or something similar on hand to twist the filter off with, cup catches any extra oil that tries to spill out.

Sometimes I don't even need the pliers since you can get a good grip on the filter with the wheel off.

You have plenty of access by just turning the wheel...no need to remove it.

33.gif

I can't believe I never thought of just turning the wheel instead of removing it. I'll give that a try next time, thanks!

Autozone or Advanced sell the cup wrench for oil filters, I have a few of them and one of them fits the honda oem perfectly. I also have one for a toyota oem filter and it fits the purolators and mobil 1 filter lol Talk about coincidence..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back