Oil Filter w/ 5w-50 in 460 EFI

Looking to see if anyone can suggest an oil filter with great oil flow & maybe what oil you use in your big block?
I’m using 5QT Mobil 5w-50 FX2 & 1QT Mobil 0w-30 Racing Oil w/ Donaldson P169071 Oil Filter.

1995 Winnebago Vectra 33RQ Motorhome
F53 7.5l 460 V8 Fuel Injection 61,xxx Miles

Unless you're frequently starting the camper in extreme cold the restriction of the media really doesn't matter, all filters will "flow" the same unless the oil pump is in pressure relief which usually happens in the extreme cold, maybe on occasion if it's up to temp and you're really riding the red line, and the media bypass is going to be the same deal pretty much only will open if the oil is cold and extremely thick to where it has to open to keep the differential pressure from collapsing the media. I'm guessing that's a pretty stock truck motor, shouldn't need anything fancy, just whatever 5W30, if you want a little thicker maybe 0W40 or 5W40 Euro oil, but I don't see the need for 5W50 and adding additional racing oil to it to try to spike ZDDP or whatever you're trying to do with that brew.

Does Full Synthetic Media Flow better than synthetic blend cellulose/synthetic or just cellulose media?
Oil flow is my primary objective, then filtration but if it does both, that would be great!
Yes and yes. The Fram Ultra has excellent filtration and flow. Someone will chime in and tell you that positive displacement oil pumps will flow oil at the same rate regardless of how restrictive an oil filter is. That aside, synthetic media flows better than full cellulose and the Ultra has some of the best stats on filtration as well.

Unless you're frequently starting the camper in extreme cold the restriction of the media really doesn't matter, all filters will "flow" the same unless the oil pump is in pressure relief which usually happens in the extreme cold, maybe on occasion if it's up to temp and you're really riding the red line, and the media bypass is going to be the same deal pretty much only will open if the oil is cold and extremely thick to where it has to open to keep the differential pressure from collapsing the media. I'm guessing that's a pretty stock truck motor, shouldn't need anything fancy, just whatever 5W30, if you want a little thicker maybe 0W40 or 5W40 Euro oil, but I don't see the need for 5W50 and adding additional racing oil to it to try to spike ZDDP or whatever you're trying to do with that brew.
Thanks man. That makes a lot of sense. Yeah, it’s only going to be used from April-October.

Haha You're exactly right, I was upping the ZDDP with the 0w-30 racing oil. I have 12 qts of it and thought it was away to use it. Got it on clearance a year ago.

But seriously the 460 is really enjoying the 5w-50. It’s so smooth and quiet 🤫 this is the 3rd oil change now. 5w-40 T6 could be a good too like your saying! 🧐 Hard Too Find Now!

Yes and yes. The Fram Ultra has excellent filtration and flow. Someone will chime in and tell you that positive displacement oil pumps will flow oil at the same rate regardless of how restrictive an oil filter is. That aside, synthetic media flows better than full cellulose and the Ultra has some of the best stats on filtration as well.
Thanks :)! I want one Similar to the size of a Motorcraft FL1A. TheMann-Filter W 950/4 Oil Filter is large but 50 micron rating….I’ve heard older guys telling me that the 7.5l runs dirty…. Don’t know if my EFI makes a difference

Last edited:
What's wrong with Motorcraft FL1A? Cheap and readily available?
Thanks man, your right. Cheap and available almost everywhere. Was just seeing if there is something better. Don’t mind spending alittle more. I appreciate everyone’s comments. There is maybe two forums on 5w-50…. This oil should get more hype than that with that VOA.

I read somethings about shearing on 5w-50 … is that on the VOA?

How many miles do you expect to go on this thing between OCI? I'm guessing it sees 1,000 or less a year?

The Ford Lima 385 series (429/460) has been around ince 1968. Torque monsters. Nothing particularly dirty about them. Does your EFI motor home have EGR and a HUGE catalytic converter, exhaust with 2 small pipes? That is the bottleneck of Fords of this era.

Last edited:
How many miles do you expect to go on this thing between OCI? I'm guessing it sees 1,000 or less a year?

The Ford Lima 385 series (429/460) has been around ince 1968. Torque monsters. Nothing particularly dirty about them. Does your EFI motor home have EGR and a HUGE catalytic converter, exhaust with 2 small pipes? That is the bottleneck of Fords of this era.
Hey Fabulous50s,

Yeah! Less than a 1,000 miles a year. I use it from April-October. It’s been running very well all summer so far! I’m really liking the difference of the 5w-50 from the 5w-20 Ford recommends. It runs so smooth and just purrrrrs :) Gas mileage hasn’t been noticeably affected.

Yes! I inspected the hoses on the EGR valve and changed out the PCV this spring. I’ve heard it was a dirty running engine from fuel mixing with the oil? Maybe that was for the Carburetor ones?

Haha yes, that Catalytic is massive! And yes, it does have the two exhaust pipes coming out of the side. Do you have any advice on how to improve exhaust flow with these? You sound like you’ve been around these big blocks. I’ll take any advise man. This is my first Big Block Engine, but I truly respect them! It has been great tuning it up with new plugs, wires, cap, router and coil. She seems to be Avery happy engine :)

Yesterday I opened up the rear Differential Dana 80 fill plug…. I had to use a hammer on my 1/2” ratchet to get it off it was so tight… after that no fluid slipped out. Stuck my finger down there and it was grey/black and it stunk! I’m assuming it’s the original fluid back in 1994 from Ford. So this evening I’m doing the right thing and draining it by removing the cover, clean it out. Replace the gasket ( just picked one up) and put 4qts of FS 75w-140 in it. Is there a good way to clean up the inside of the Diff.? Or just wipe it?

Thank you for all the replies btw!

Every rear diff I've done, and it's been a few....I've used copious amounts of brake cleaner sprayed on everything for cleanup.

I always use Permatex ultra black to reseal the cover, not a gasket. But if you have a gasket, then go for it!

Personally.....not legally. I'd remove the whole exhaust and put on some free breathing 2.5" or larger duals on it, or a 3" single. Some turbo muffler(s) will keep it quietish and flow well. That'll get you substantially better power and gas mileage. But that is expensive of course. Back pressure is very high for a heavy breathing 460 woth the stock weazing little pipes.

At 1,000 miles a year you can run pretty much any oil and change it annually. Or ever Every other year, but some may disagree with that.

Every rear diff I've done, and it's been a few....I've used copious amounts of brake cleaner sprayed on everything for cleanup.

I always use Permatex ultra black to reseal the cover, not a gasket. But if you have a gasket, then go for it!

Personally.....not legally. I'd remove the whole exhaust and put on some free breathing 2.5" or larger duals on it, or a 3" single. Some turbo muffler(s) will keep it quietish and flow well. That'll get you substantially better power and gas mileage. But that is expensive of course. Back pressure is very high for a heavy breathing 460 woth the stock weazing little pipes.

At 1,000 miles a year you can run pretty much any oil and change it annually. Or ever Every other year, but some may disagree with that.
Thanks man, I waited for your reply to start it. So I’ll get going on it tomorrow with brake cleaner. I could also pick up some peramatex. Is it better to put sealant on the gasket or just the gasket?

I can totally see what you are taking about with the restrictions on those little little pipes! I might just go off the big main pipe and do a single pipe like you said. I saw that banks make a couple different things for better air flow and a new exhaust system. But your right, they are expensive. I’ll have a look around and see if there is a better way to get air in the air cleaner. The air hose just hangs there behind the front, aiming down at the ground…. Doesn’t seem like air flows into it while driving, maybe that’s how it’s suppose to be?

Do you have/ had a big block? Anything you’ve done to them? What Oil and Filter did you use?

I like the once a year Oil Change. The Mobil AS 5w-50 isn’t that bad in price. I get it at NAPA with their deals. It ends up being like $5-$6 a quart. Some people have recommended Motorcraft 5w-50 but I can’t find a UOA on it. It was hard enough getting the Mobil AS 5w-50 UOA. 5w-50 just isn’t a popular topic lol 😂

Last edited:
Looking to see if anyone can suggest an oil filter with great oil flow & maybe what oil you use in your big block?
I’m using 5QT Mobil 5w-50 FX2 & 1QT Mobil 0w-30 Racing Oil w/ Donaldson P169071 Oil Filter.

1995 Winnebago Vectra 33RQ Motorhome
F53 7.5l 460 V8 Fuel Injection 61,xxx Miles
The big black Donaldson Synteq filter is an absolutely excellent filter, and if you are able to get them easily, I'd continue using it. If Fleetguard is easier to get, the LF3487 is their equivalent, using their synthetic Stratapore (may be Nanonet now) media.

I agree, The Donaldson P169071 is very well made! I also really liked the Mann 950/4 construction, It’s a beast of a filter. But the Mann was only 50 microns. Unless I read that wrong?

Never tried a Fleetguard Filter but I know people that swear by them and are life long buyers.

Thanks OverKill!

Last edited:
The big black Donaldson Synteq filter is an absolutely excellent filter, and if you are able to get them easily, I'd continue using it. If Fleetguard is easier to get, the LF3487 is their equivalent, using their synthetic Stratapore (may be Nanonet now) media.
BTW what an amazing write up on filter media! I’m reading it right now and I’m truly learning a lot. Great Job!

Here’s the link for everybody: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/whats-in-your-filter-media-types-explained.345164/

I've been a mechanic for 20 years.

I don't own a 385 series BBF. However I do own a 352 FE, which is the predecessor to the 385 series.

All big blocks are similar, they don't spin super fast, and in stock form (heads) they generally don't breathe well above 5,000 RPM, they don't need to. They are made for low end torque.

This is my 1959 FE which I built last winter.
20210725_202341.jpg

I've been a mechanic for 20 years.

I don't own a 385 series BBF. However I do own a 352 FE, which is the predecessor to the 385 series.

All big blocks are similar, they don't spin super fast, and in stock form (heads) they generally don't breathe well above 5,000 RPM, they don't need to. They are made for low end torque.

This is my 1959 FE which I built last winter.
View attachment 112026
Wow!! That’s Beautiful Man! Is that the motor named “The Thunderbird”? Or maybe that was the 332….or originally it was a 332 and you’ve done a lot of work too it haha. I think that’s what they used to race with too. So much history in the FE’s, such a cool engine. Congrats!

What’s the lucky vehicle are you going to put that bad boy in?

Back