Oil/Filter Recommendations?

Sorry if this is not the right way to get this info, but I was hoping to get some recommendations on oil and filters for a couple of my vehicles now that I have decided to do my own oil maintenance

1. 2013 Mustang GT (5.0L Coyote): This is not a daily driver; gets about 2-3k miles/year; I change each year. This is a vehicle I intend to keep forever and want it to last as long as possible.
-- currently supposedly (because I can't verify if the shop guys actually put it in) running Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 with a "FVP" filter (/gag) installed by oil change shop.
-- considering staying with PP and using Motorcraft filter instead.

2. 2018 F-150 (3.5 Ecoboost twin turbo): Daily driver; 7k/year; change whenever computer says so (typically every 8-9 months). This is a vehicle that will be replaced in no more than 6 years (unless life happens) and I'll only rack up 60-75k before I sell. Does heavy towing and hauling in summers.
-- currently using Motorcraft blend 5w30 with Motorcraft filter.
-- considering changing to the PP, Mobile 1 full synth or other full synth since those oils are pretty much as cheap as the motorcraft synth blend and I do the heavy towing/hauling.

Have any thoughts?

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Any 5w30 synthetic oil should be fine for your cars.

For the filter, use Wix XP/Napa Platinum or Fram Ultra is a good choice.

However, there is nothing *wrong* with sticking with OEM Motorcraft oil and filter, but like you said, you can get full synthetic for the same price as that syn blend.

A good cheap easy to find oil for both would be quaker state full syn 5w-30 it's $21 on Walmart shelves and dexos 1 gen 3 approved so it's a real good formulating. Stricter than ford's wss spec and those two both use the fl500 which is the 10575 or the shorter version being the 10060.

The supertech MP10575 at walmart is the full length metal cap and silicone adbv filter and it's around $5-6 so a good value and it should work on both as well. The Fl500 is good but availability sucks and i wasn't ever able to find any at my local store ever unless I have them shipped for pickup which annoys me.

Last edited:
5w30 syn-blend motor craft in both and for the money at Walmart the motor craft are good filters.

That would certainly make keeping the right oil and filters stocked up since they both use the same filter, hah. I like the idea of running 5w30 instead of 5w20 in the Mustang since I do semi-regularly engage in spirited (but safe and legal) driving with it and it's almost never driven in cold weather.

That would certainly make keeping the right oil and filters stocked up since they both use the same filter, hah. I like the idea of running 5w30 instead of 5w20 in the Mustang since I do semi-regularly engage in spirited (but safe and legal) driving with it and it's almost never driven in cold weather.
Ford has had a love hate relationship with 5w30 they bounced around 5w20 for fuel economy however both 5w20 & 30 are both good depending on their application. The 5w30 would definitely be good choice for the ecoboost and serve the stang well. Since you have the ability to keep it simple stock up on the same filter and oil. 👍

Enjoy your rides.

Ford has had a love hate relationship with 5w30 they bounced around 5w20 for fuel economy however both 5w20 & 30 are both good depending on their application. The 5w30 would definitely be good choice for the ecoboost and serve the stang well. Since you have the ability to keep it simple stock up on the same filter and oil. 👍
If anything Ford has a love hate relationship with CAFE credits and acceptable wear.

Too much internet talk to know the truth of wear war stories on 20 vs 30wt? If its "cafe" credits they were after kudos to Ford. Everyone is a super technician and chemist in the internet world. 🙄

Too much internet talk to know the truth of wear war stories on 20 vs 30wt? If its "cafe" credits they were after kudos to Ford. Everyone is a super technician and chemist in the internet world. 🙄
Fortunately there are scientific papers that show the difference. But of course there are those that either cannot understand them or choose not to do so. They’d rather be an Internet talker instead.

I’m quite sure you know the answer to that already. This is exactly how the conversation has gone the past 100 times the topic has been discussed.
Automaker's recommended TB gets laughed at and independent lab report gets obeyed like the law. That's how these topics of discussion usually start and get 🔒

Back