Oil + filter Recommendation for 2007 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, first post. Would like some ideas.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2007 Honda Fit 4cyl 111k miles.

Between break in period and 88k miles, 5w-20 dino oil was used every 3k, along with some mid-range filter, brand unknown.
At 88k, I switched it to M1 5w-20 (15k interval edition) and M1 (20k interval edition) filter.* I change oil and filter when the Honda Maintenance Minder dings, between 6k and 8k for safety.
Currently no oil loss whatsoever, maybe less than 2% but I'd be unable to measure this on a dipstick.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

3.8quarts 5w-20 API oil.

3. Where you live

Ohio, not really dusty at all, but ambient temps -25 to 95.
I do lots of roadtripping all over the place, but I think Ohio's weather range is somewhat close to some other regional extremes.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)

heavy foot, faster, sometimes will take it slow but usually aggressive on the pedal.
Hitting the track is not out of the question.

Will let cruise control take over often

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)

I will do long trips going down a random interstate for enjoyment, or many short trips picking items up from stores/pricechecking, and all sorts of city errands.
Between 20 and 200 miles a day, average 100. Half I would say is highway or more, it really depends on the day.

I like road tripping, often also.

Another interesting note, I carry alot of weight in the car, I required an upgrade to the coil springs so they can haul more weight without sagging.
300 pounds extra weight at all times not including other passengers, so expect the car to be nearing GVWR 700lbs ( +- 100lbs I think) at some points.
Maybe I should get a diesel van haha.

6. Whether your car has any known problems

No known problems, no detectable oil loss.

Other

I prefer synthetic for winter starts.
I am curious about additives such as Lucas stabilizer(synthetic version?), bestline, and others.
I have seen a good scientific test by the Youtube channel Project Farm, he bought two motors, and used bestline in one, regular oil in other, and saw how long it took the motor to seize after draining all oils. Bestline added motor lasted just under twice as long.
Does BITOG have any suggestions on additives or if they are good at all?

I also did use seafoam in the oil once, and it did drain darker, with no new leaking.

* Interesting note about the oil filter I use. I buy them from Walmart, and on the packaging it says 20K miles rating. I browsed O'Reillys and found only 15k rated "gold" M1 filters. I asked the clerk if he thought it could have been branding or marketing, and he said Walmart does receive older products than an auto store. Walmart does not have 15k rated M1 gold filters. Does anyone know much about this?

I have a personal preference for M1 but I heard they got worse in the past few years, I picked them because I compare metrics such as total mileage ratings (hence 15k oil). I understand this isn't the best idea.

I don't mind ordering oil online, but I prefer storebought.

Would pay a bit more for nice oil.

Thank you everyone.

I like Synthetics. The Valvoline Max Life 5w20 is really good and pretty cheap.
Beyond that, the Mobil1 High Mileage is what I use in our 2006 Acura TSX with 170K miles.

As was posted, any good oil, with a decent filter, will be fine.
I use Wix, Mobil1, Purolater or those K&N Pro Series filters.
All good.

I like Synthetics. The Valvoline Max Life 5w20 is really good and pretty cheap.
Beyond that, the Mobil1 High Mileage is what I use in our 2006 Acura TSX with 170K miles.

As was posted, any good oil, with a decent filter, will be fine.
I use Wix, Mobil1, Purolater or those K&N Pro Series filters.
All good.

welcome2.gif

Use any quality 5w20 or 0w20 for the OCI suggested by the computer. For cars like yours with that minder, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale.

For a filter, use either Fram Ultra, Wix/Napa Gold, Wix XP/Napa Platinum

How about the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W20 paired with a Fram Ultra. Pennzoil currently has a $10.00 rebate with the purchase of 5 quarts of synthetic oil at the moment also. Hope your shopping at Wal Mart for your oil & filter -- best way to save money. Welcome aboard also to BITOG -- let me tell you -- it gets addictive!!

If the owners manual specifies 5w20, stick with it. For filter, use OE Honda, Wix or NAPA Gold.

Last edited:
Agree with most of the above, find an inexpensive (sales, clearance, rebates, etc.) major name syn or even semi syn 0/5w20 and run it until the MM says to change-I can usually get good oil, M1, Valvoline Syn, PP, etc for $4-10 a fill.

I stick with the OE A01 Filtech filters, otherwise I’d fun a FU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back