Oil filter for truck that sits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have been a long time lurker here and have finally opened a account.

I apologize that my mind is everywhere, not very good at organizing my thoughts (A disability of mine https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/icons/default/frown.gif )

CLIFFS:
-OEM filter vs fancy filter for vehicle that sits?
-Any advice on how to help car last long time that ends up sitting?
-Using amsoil filter vs oem for different vehicle that is driven hard and will be using amsoil oil (change more often).

I had a few questions, I have 4 vehicles between my wife and I currently and my toyota truck basically just sits for long periods of time before we need to use it. Considering selling it but I just love it way too much.

I have a case of OEM filters for it that are also fit my Toyota sienna so I have been using them for both. Anyway I just did an oil change on the truck and switched from conventional/synthetic blend high mileage 5w30 (mixed my self) to full synthetic PP 0w40 Euro. I figured the synthetic combined with the 0w portion would help with dry starts from sitting for weeks without being started.

HERE is the real question: Would using a top quality oil filter also help with preventing all of that start up wear? I am considering a amsoil filter though I wouldn't be putting 15k miles a year on and would likely change filter/oil after 5k in one year. Or maybe something like the bosch distance plus? Ive used this before and I really like the look and material quality of this filter, seems to be very good. OR would just using my toyota OEM filters be just fine? If there is a good amount of benefit to using a better filter I am all for it, spending extra for a filter vs rebuilding an engine sooner than I can afford it is more than worth it to me.

Another question: Is there any general must do's for a car that sits? I add Lucas fuel treatment to the gas to keep it from destabalizing and making it hard to start and that has seemed to help the Geo I owned and had sit for almost a year start without a jump or anything. Anything else? Should I go out and start it once in a while? I can see how that would help keep battery alive and all but I feel like idling an engine for 15 -30 minutes is more harm to the engine than just waiting until I need it. If it is best to start truck so often, how often?

One last question: My sienna I currently have the OEM filter for the truck on it (I think might be OEM for it too) and I have
PP 0w20 high mileage full syn in it, I plan to drive it on that for 5k miles and switch over to Amsoil 0w-20 (maybe mixing with 0w40 since the wife will be driving it and she drives faster than me) since I have some left over from my Insight hybrid. Would using OEM filter on a vehicle that is driven 4 or so days a week be just fine with the Amsoil? I would intend on changing out the filter every maybe 5 - 7.5k and run amsoil for 15k miles. I am not sure if it would not be a good idea to use a lesser quality filter (than the amsoil) will have an affect on being able to go 15k miles on it. The driving style is that of my wifes and she gets on the gas quiet a bit.

Thank you for everyones time!

I see no reason not to stick with OEM at least until they're used up.

For the truck that sits, it it uses a spin on filter you could use a Fram Ultra spin on for 2x oil changes and enjoy the benefit of the nice ADBV and excellent filtration. But I would probably just use up the OE filters before I did anything.

If the vehicles take a cartridge just stick to OEM.

I have one truck that is little used, and this is what I have done to keep it running the past 15 years or so (1995 F350).
1. I use a standard oil filter, in my case Motorcraft, with good results. Not sure a premium oil filter would yield better results.
2. I change the oil annually, but have gone as long as 18 months on the same oil with no issues.
3. Oil consumption is no different than when the truck was used almost daily before it sat.
4. I have had no issues with fuel and have never run fuel stabilizer. I do run Techron in the tank annually.
5. I try to start and drive the vehicle on a set of errands at least every two weeks. I think that is better than doing any idle time. So far, this has kept the battery up just fine. In fact, the last battery went 9 years with this method.

For reference the vehicle is a 97 Toyota T100 4x4

It takes just a normal spin on filter. Never owned a vehicle that takes a cartridge type.

Since it takes a spin on would a better quality filter in this case matter more?

welcome2.gif

For an infrequently-driven car, I'd use the cheapest Wix-made filter, like Napa Silver/Proselect, O'R Microgard, Walmart ST, etc.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
I have one truck that is little used, and this is what I have done to keep it running the past 15 years or so (1995 F350).
1. I use a standard oil filter, in my case Motorcraft, with good results. Not sure a premium oil filter would yield better results.
2. I change the oil annually, but have gone as long as 18 months on the same oil with no issues.
3. Oil consumption is no different than when the truck was used almost daily before it sat.
4. I have had no issues with fuel and have never run fuel stabilizer. I do run Techron in the tank annually.
5. I try to start and drive the vehicle on a set of errands at least every two weeks. I think that is better than doing any idle time. So far, this has kept the battery up just fine. In fact, the last battery went 9 years with this method.

This is exactly what I do with my 71 MGB, except a Bosch filter

First off...
welcome2.gif

My truck sets for the majority of the year as well.
5-6K miles a year if that .
Yearly oil changes with a quality synthetic and a Fram Ultra changed every two years.
No issues what so ever .

My escalade gets approx 5k miles a year. I have used AC delco (both ecore and non ecore), purolator classic, wix, etc at 1 year oci, zero issues

Last edited:
Emergency generator and back-up engines are required to be test run under load at least 30 continuous minutes once a month. I think that is a reasonable operating schedule. "Never put your horse away hot and never put your truck away cold" is a good motto. Keep it in a garage if possible. Use any name brand oil and filter, you don't require premium products for the short mileage intervals. A yearly oil and filter change should be conservative. Keep an eye on the other fluids as well. As far as I know, there is not much you can do about start-up wear except not start it. I try to minimize cold starts but when it is started, drive gently a few miles to allow a quick warm-up and then operate it continuously until the oil temperature is above 212F and put it away hot to avoid moisture condensation. Don't put too much gasoline in the tank and drive it enough to turn the contents over about every 6 months. Seattle has mild temperatures and should be good storage conditions if you can keep it dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back